Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

denise g are you there?? Question about FHL surgery!

Posted by Jureviciuus on 11/16/04 at 08:01 (164033)

denise,

You mentioned in previuos post that you had a tarsal tunnel release with tenosynovectomy of fhl and was wondering how you are doing? I have FHL tendonits and doc is cosidering same operation you stated. I have more questions

Thanks Joe J.

Re: denise g are you there?? Question about FHL surgery!

denise g on 11/16/04 at 11:15 (164055)

I am doing ok, I am walking around since 2 weeks post op , it is now almost 6 1/2 weeks, I have no more pain from old symptoms. However surgery seems to have caused scar tissue which burns and aches if I overdo it, physical therapist is trying to break it up with agressive manipulation and I do this as well. I am in better shape than before the surgery, just didn't expect this scar tissue problem. I am working a 12 hour day today , which I do every Tues. (not by choice) and this is always a tough day. I wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you what's up 6 months from now. But I can only tell you as it is, and I have some better days than others, but can even go shopping now, which I couldn't do before the surgery.
Good Luck and make sure you have a top notch surgeon to increase your odds.
Denise

Re: how do they break up the scar tissue?

Buck on 11/16/04 at 15:16 (164068)

I have seen others mention this and wondered how that was done. Also, how often do you go to phyz therapy and how long are the appts.

How does the scar tissue pain compare to the TTS pain?

Thanks

Jureviciuus on 11/16/04 at 16:22 (164070)

Glad to hear denise,

What were your symptoms before surgery? Was the pain localized? Any numbness, burning, tngling?

Did you have a positive Tinel sign?

What did the MRI show of the FHL?

I ask you this because i pnly have had 14 mpnths of localized pain with no numbness tingling or burning. My pain is near the inside ankle. MRI showed FHL tenosynovits with nerve test only minimal changes in post tib nerve.

What does your phy. ther4paist have you do for streching could you explain?

I am not sure if i want to do the surgery.
Thanks for your time.

denise g on 11/16/04 at 20:24 (164113)

My symptoms before surgery started with achilles tendonosis, they put me in cam walkers for 3 months that hurt I think that caused tts pain, anyway that it my theory, cured the achilles tendonosis but had tts now. Had very strong pain in inner ankle, mri showed nothing, cat scan and bone scans showed nothing. I dont know what a tinel sign is,. Local Drs. podiatrists and orthopedists seemed to have no idea what was wrong, I went to the HOspital for Special Surgery in NYC top ankle orthopedist who knew the second he saw me what was wrong, said tts often does not show on mri and often can only be diagnosed from symptoms. He put me in a walking cast for 6 weeks to try to alleviate symptoms but it didn't work.
Surgery is a big step, had worse pain before the surgery, I am only 6 weeks post op and hope I continue to improve. I have incision pain and scar tissue above incision that hurts. I just worked a 12 hour day mostly on my feet and am sore now but that's from overdoing it. However, I like my job and want to keep it so I've got to do the work. I've had foot pain for over 1 yr. and only pray this was the answer. Good luck to you. For stretching , I do stair stretches and wall stretches and towel strethces.
Denise

Re: how do they break up the scar tissue?

denise g on 11/16/04 at 20:27 (164116)

I go to physical therapy 3xweek, first they do electric stimulation, then ultrasound, then exercizes, then the p.t. does manipulation to break up the scar tissue which I find hurts when she does it. Scar tissue pain is more of a burning pain and is usually less than tts pain unless I overdo it. I am hoping that as time goes by pain will lessen.
Denise

Lauren R. on 11/23/04 at 15:59 (164613)

Just wondering which doctor you saw in NY? Also, how did he diagnose the FHL problem? I had an MRI that showed nothing but have severe FHL and sesamoid pain. Was in a cam walker for 8 weeks this past winter for FHL tendonitis that never cleared up, only got worse. Recently was casted and on crutches for almost four weeks, no relief. Am looking for a doctor who can figure out what's wrong and solve the problem.