Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Damn you plantar fasciitis......

Posted by Jiffy on 11/16/04 at 15:00 (164067)

I was just fitted for orthotics last week and it seems to really be aggrevating my arch more....LOL. I was never told to wear them for short periods of time...so perhaps I should cut back. Anyways, this condition started about 8 months ago...and just seems to be getting worse. So frustrating.

I will give the orthotics another month and then I think I need to see a doctor. Outside of my GP who do I see for this condition? and what other treatments would they suggest outside of what I am already doing? I have been consistant with ice, stretching, havent worked out in months, and advil. Nothing seems to help

I blame my flip flops that I wore all summer for this conditon....never again!

Re: Damn you plantar fasciitis......

Dr. Z on 11/16/04 at 17:14 (164073)

Hi
Read the heel pain book. Review the pf stretch and yoga excercises. Here is how I dispense orthosis and explaining break in time. Wear one hour first day. Increase by one hour so long as there is no pain. If painful start over with one hour daily. Expect at least six weeks to start to feel relief . See a podiatrist for foot problems . I am a podiatrist

Julie on 11/17/04 at 02:57 (164140)

Right: No more flipflops, even after you're better.

Break your orthotics in slowly. Half an hour a day for a week, then increase little by little. If after a month they aren't all right, they need adjusting or changing. Consult with whoever made them.

Ice may not be helping you. It's useful for acute inflammation, but can irritate a persistent case. Many of us stopped icing because it was doing more harm than good.

Stretching may or may not be helping, depending on what you're doing. If you'd like to describe your stretches, I may be able to help (I am a yoga teacher.)

Cyndi on 11/18/04 at 18:52 (164293)

I agree, Damn this problem, if in fact, I ever even had it! Sometimes I wonder. After trying the custom made and them not feeling good, they were re-fitted to wear and now I cannot wear any shoe anymore. I have been wearing a sandel all summer but tonight my feet were cold so I put the insoles in a Ugg like boot and woowow, now I can barely stand at all. IT also has started back the nerves tingling in my foot that I had cryo-surgery on.
I am returning them to my POD and I will not pay another office visit to him for him to return them to be remade for the original casting.

I think we jumped the gun in having them refitted as so much was going on with my feet anyway. I did not know what was to feel right. I was never told of a break in period til I read it here months after putting them in and working a 6 hour day standing all day. No wonder they hurt and maybe did not need the re-fitting!
THis will take another couple of months, but, I am still hoping I was not trying them out correctly. I am just blowing off steam,

Re: $10.00 shoe insert and I can walk without pain again

Sharon C on 11/20/04 at 19:50 (164457)

I had plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. I found a wonderful cheap insert just for the heel ($10.00) that I keep in my house shoes and my street shoes (I don't walk in or out of the house without them).

I have been wearing them for 3 weeks and even though my foot is not totally healed, I can tell it is healing itself because when I walk barefoot (even in the morning) for a short period of time just to see how my feet are doing, I noticed that my feet don't hurt like they used to. Before using them, I could not walk in the moring without pain. I am going to keep wearing them longer, however, because I can tell my feet are getting better without medication or surgery just by taking the pressure off them. I am over weighte also.

These are wonderful inserts and only cost $10.00 to try them.
(email removed)

Lynn F. on 11/20/04 at 23:55 (164464)

Sharon - Can you provide the name of the inserts? I'd like to check them out. Thanks.

LINDA J on 11/26/04 at 08:52 (164737)

COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT INSERTS YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TRY IT ALSO? THANKS!!!

Julie on 11/26/04 at 09:13 (164739)

Linda

Sharon is obviously not reading the board now, or she would have replied to Lynn's question. Why don't you email her? Her email address is at the foot of her post.

Alternatively, you could try the Superfeet inserts that are for sale on this website (see 'Products' at the top of the home page) or the Powerstep inserts that Dr Z recommends. Both are relatively cheap, though not quite as cheap as $10.

Steve on 5/14/05 at 16:47 (175029)

Julie,

I was told to have really high arch and my orthotics are on their way. I also go to yoga classes. The yoga teacher showed me how to strengthen arch and stretching planter fascia, saying it helped him as he as flat feet. Would they work for me with high arch as well, or not?
Thanks!

Re: Steve

Julie on 5/15/05 at 03:13 (175058)

Steve

I would be inclined to leave that exercise out. The muscles in a 'really high arch' are probably short and tight, and most strengthening exercises shorten muscle fibres. I would be inclined to stick to the stretching exercises and aim to lengthen those muscles. Have you looked at the foot yoga exercises and the plantar fascia stretch?