Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fibroma and partial tear posterior tib tendon

Posted by Louise on 11/17/04 at 08:02 (164148)

I'm 61, overweight although not obese, never had good feet and have worn various kinds of arch supports for the last 20 years of my life - most have been custom made. I have very flat feet and recent xrays revealed I also have an accessory navicular in both feet.

I have now been diagnosed (via MRI and physical exam), with a partial tear of the posterior tendon and a plantar fibroma - both on the same foot.

Before the diagnosis of the plantar fibroma (because first doctor didn't pay attention to it given the other problems). I was also given an orthotic but it irritated the fibroma and then up into the posterior tendon - anterior as well to some degree. Adjustment helped but didn't make them wearable without pain for more than 1/2 hr at a time.

I was given physical therapy which focused on calf stretching and using a foot roller along with manual massage of the plantar fascia including the area of the plantar fibroma.

I've been told that surgery for the fibroma is not recommended because it grows back very frequently and requires 4-6 weeks with no weight bearing possible.

What might be my next course of action?

Is a foot roller and manual massage a good thing for the fibroma or might it further inflame it and potentially lead it to grow larger?

My apologies for the length of this post and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.