Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Drs, What does "increased T2 signal intensity mean?"

Posted by Annie on 11/17/04 at 18:56 (164199)

Dear doctors,

This is my history
- pf symtoms x 4 years
- 7/04 has ossatron/orthotripsy, felt improvement for approx a week, f/b worsening symptoms till I could not even bear weight anymore
- had mri 11/04 as I wanted to make sure I had the correct diagnosis since I never had morning pain

My questions
1. The mri report states ' inflammatory increased T2 signal intensity seen at the insertion of the plantar fascia on the calcaneal base' .What does T2 signal intensity mean?
2. My podiatrist recommends redoing the ossatron/orthotripsy. Does this sound resonable and what are my chances for improvement if I worsened after the 1st proceedure?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Re: Drs, What does "increased T2 signal intensity mean?"

Dr. Z on 11/17/04 at 19:09 (164201)

Hi,
The MRI has confirmed changes at the pf insertion on the T2 phase. This is a type of signal. The fact that you don't have first step morning pain may mean that you have both pf and a nerve entrapement. The fact that you got worse may mean that you have a local nerve entrapment.
This must be ruled out.

Annie on 11/17/04 at 19:22 (164203)

How is a nerve entrapment ruled out? My podiatrist didn't mention anything about a nerve entrapment, he said the mri ruled everything out except pf. I am confused.

Dr. Z on 11/17/04 at 22:36 (164214)

Annie,
Physical examination. Possible referral to neurologist- EMG testing It is that lack of first step morning pain that moves me in the nerve problem direction

Annie on 11/18/04 at 01:47 (164223)

Well, the podi pushed on the plantar fascia insertion point last week. Does that count for the physical examination, or should he have done/palpated, tested more?

Do I just call and ask for a neuro referral?

Dr Ben Pearl on 11/18/04 at 19:37 (164299)

In my experience neuro diagnostics are not very conclusive here
physial exam is more diagnostic- perhaps a 2nd opinion