Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breaking in Birkenstocks

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 11/20/04 at 07:11 (164398)

I just got a new pair of Boston Birks this week. How long should I try to wear them each day? My feet have been much better since this summer's chiropratic visits & I don't want to risk damage. The heel area feels fine but the toe area isn't comfortable yet. Any suggestions?

Re: Breaking in Birkenstocks

Suzanne D. on 11/20/04 at 11:28 (164415)

Kathy, here's what the Birkenstockcentral.com site states in answer to your question:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why do the soles feel so firm? Is there a break in period?

Some people find Birkenstocks immediately comfortable. For others, it takes a few hours a day for a week or two to break them in. Although the shoes may feel rigid at times, remember that the firm support is essential for the orthotic benifits of Birkenstocks. They will become more flexible with wear. The uppers will become more supple and the footbeds will adjust slightly to your feet. If your feet are unaccustomed to the contour footbed, start gradually. Wear your Birkenstocks no more than 1-2 hours a day for 7-14 days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps!
Suzanne :)

RACHAEL T. on 11/20/04 at 18:01 (164448)

I have found that 'spraying water' into my insole of my new Birks & then, wearing them a little while at a time allows a better & faster break in period. The water softens the insole & allows the corn to 'become your foot.' Also, as the Birk lady on QVC has recommended - I also bend my birks at the ball of the foot back& forth regularly when they are new - which quickens that break in time too. Once my Birks are broken in - I love them....till that time, I wear them limitedly each day for about a month....then, they're good to go! Good Luck!

Kathy in Ky on 11/20/04 at 19:31 (164455)

Thanks for the advice. I hope they feel as good as my Arizona sandals. For some reason, they seemed to fit a little different. I'll wear them around the house for a couple weeks before wearing them to work.

Suzanne D. on 11/21/04 at 07:00 (164471)

I recall a former poster writing that she would step out of the bathtub into her new Birks while her feet were still wet. She felt this helped to shorten the break-in period. Your post reminded me of that, Rachael, when you mentioned spraying water into the shoes.

Suzanne :)