Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weight loss

Posted by kb on 11/21/04 at 13:48 (164489)

I am so glad I found this site. Recently I have had heel pain. I am on my feet alot during the day and am trying a boot at night. I will start trying the ice treatments and surprisingly I took 2 advil last night and that seemed to help. I have not tried the shots and want to stay clear away if I can. I am overweight and have tried the rollercoaster rides of various diets. I am staring tomorrow and am very focused on losing weight. However, I seem to be in a whirlwind as to which one to go on--do I go low carb-like Adkins--? although I want to stay away from red meats? DO I go low fat instead as I have heard from heart doctors. PLEASE HELP ME. Count carbs? Coutn fat? Count calories? Tell me what to eat and I will gladly try it!!

Re: weight loss

Terri on 11/21/04 at 16:34 (164500)

Personally, I hate the word 'diet' as it refers to something that is going to be temporary in duration. What we need to look at here is a change in 'lifestyle'.

Going on these fad diets sets one up for failure as it restricts your choices so severely. The low carb I think is the worst out there for the simple reason that carbohydrates give us energy and excessive amounts of protein can lead to kidney stones.

Key words are moderation and exercise. Keep focused on low-fat and low calorie. Watch the items in the store that advertise as low-fat as the calorie count tends to be very high. Stay away from processed foods and learn how to cook healthy. Lots of veggies (without the cheese and dipping sauces!) will help to fill you up. If you feel a need for cheese sticks or ice cream, fine, have them. Just don't have them every day and eat a normal portion.

I work with a trainer and am now doing strength training (weight lifting) as well as my regular exercising and have increased my protein accordingly. I also eat small meals throughout the day, sometimes 5 or 6, which helps keep your blood sugars from spiking and keeps you from over-eating at meals.

I'm not a dr, just a woman who has decided to take some control of my life in order not to let my TTS overwhelm me.

kb on 11/21/04 at 18:04 (164503)

Oh thank you. Great advice. Where would be a good resource to go to to determine the amount of calories and fat grams that I should consume in a day to loose weight. Thank you so much for your suggestions and advice.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/21/04 at 19:23 (164507)

I agree with most of what Terri stated. The term 'diet' is a term that I believe leads to failure. As Terri stated, you must change your lifestyle and eating habits. I do believe that there is some value in low carb diets, but not in 'no carb' diets. I believe that most people consume too many carbs, therefore restricting carbs is often beneficial. However, I do not believe in replacing carbs with high fat. Recent studies have shown that low fat diets are more beneficial than low carb diets. I am not a nutritionist, but my recommendation is to decrease your carb intake and limit your fats. Most importantly you must control your calorie intake and exercise once you've gotten an OK from your doctor. Low carb diets DO work, simply because when you limit your carbs you are basically eating less and decreasing your calories. I am a strong believer that you should limit or eliminate 'white carbs', such as white rice, white bread, white sugar, white potatoes, etc. Brown rice, whole wheat products, etc., have more nutritional value and are 'good carbs'.

Therefore, if you limit your carbs to the 'better carbs' and limit your fat intake you will naturally lower your calorie intake. And naturally, after you've gotten physician approval, you must exercise to burn calories and improve your metabolism.

Julie on 11/22/04 at 02:35 (164526)

Excellent advice from Terri and Dr W. I agree with the limiting (not eliminating) of carbohydrates, especially 'white' ones, and would add that by limiting carbohydrates you go some way towards reducing total fat intake. For example, if you eat less bread, you eliminate the butter you would normally have with it.

I would suggest that you don't get obsessed with counting calories and watching your fat grams, but simply adjust your diet to include more vegetables, especially green, non-starchy ones, plus less fat, and fewer sweet things. If you feel you need to follow a programme, try Weight Watchers.

If you have not read the heel pain book, do so: it will give you lots of information about heel pain and options for treating it.

john king on 11/23/04 at 06:53 (164592)

When I worked at the Post Office lifting heavy mail bags all night I did not gain a pound no matter what I ate. When I got an easier job I started getting fatter. I think age and activity level have a lot to do with weight gain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/23/04 at 19:36 (164640)

Dr. W:

This is an area where there are many concepts and the paradigm has shifted somewhat. One thing to consider about fats is that there are 'good' fats and 'bad' fats. The omega-3 fats in fish oil and flax seed are 'good' fats while the saturated fats are considered 'bad' fats. Carbs have a glycemic index, that is the tendency to create an insulin release -- carrots, corn, white bread has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, whole wheat bread and some feel that insulin levels influence fat storage. Insulin resistance occurs when there are chronically high levels of insulin caused by overeating of high glycemic index foods.

The overuse of 'refined' carbohydrates is a product of 'modern' civilization to some extent.

Presumably, evidence of athersclerosis was seen in Egyptian mummies who consumed modest amounts of bread but was non-existent in people who were 'hunter-gatherers' (I am not sure how such a determination was made).

Kathy G on 11/24/04 at 08:44 (164659)

If you want a guide and don't want to join Weightwatchers, a copy of the diet that Diabetics follow would be helpful. My daughter said that one of the doctors in the area where she lives gives out copies of these diets as guidelines to his patients. You wouldn't have to weigh your portions as precisely but it would give you an idea about what to eat.

If I weren't in a hurry, I'd search for a link for you but I'm sure you could find it by searching under American Diabetes Association.

elvis on 11/24/04 at 18:13 (164678)

kb.......I agree with Dr. Davis. Probably the most detrimental aspect of our Western diet is the imbalance between omega-3 fats and omega-6 fats. This imbalance creats a cascade of eicosanoid hormones that promote inflammation and I would guess contributes to people having chronic inflammation like us who suffer from pf. Do yourself justice and look up information on dieting. The traditional low fat diet is the absolute worst think you could do to yourself from a biochemistry viewpoint. Just look at Americans after following this advice over the last 30 years.....we are fatter than ever at the increase in obesity has accelerated. Ask yourself this, 'How dothey fatten beef cattle the 2 or weeks before going to market?' The answer: The feed it as much grain that it can eat. What does the grain do? It turns into saturated fat. Well if you eat the low fat diet you will lose weight initially if you restrict calories enough. After that, while you are restircting in the diet, the excess carbs you eat are turned into saturated fat in your body. From a biochemisrty point the Low fat' diet is a total disaster and against all known science that we know of today. Also agree with Dr. Davis you need to choose your fats wisely. Here is an excelllent article on the metabolic effects of insulin by Dr. Ron Rosedale:
Rosedale has recently published his diet book. I strongly recommend you buy it and give it a long hard read.

If you don't want to commit to that then my advice would be to (1)supplement with Vit E and con liver oil (Nordic Naturals Citrus has no fish taste whatsoever) See http://www.nordicnaturals.com and just avoid all refined carbs and choose good fats - omega-3 and omega-9 (olive oil). I also agree with others this should not be construed a 'weight reduction diet' as such but rather a life style change.

Good luck.

elvis on 11/24/04 at 18:35 (164679)

kb........sorry for the typos. I'm in a hurry. That's COD LIVER OIL and of course not 'con liver oil'

Cyndi on 11/26/04 at 22:43 (164761)

I really need to get some off after being so sedimentary and still not weight-bearing after several months. My reg Dr gave me a paper with a meal-plan of 1800 calories. No way can I make these meals and live this way, so I choose to just cut back and smaller portions. Less sugar and more fruit for snacks. Lots of Water and a new exercise bike. I hope all this will do what I want. I miss my daily walks with my dogs and I sure feel it also in my weight.

elvis on 11/29/04 at 00:09 (164829)

With a low carb plan like Dr. Ron Rosedale there is no need to count calories or portions. Kust use common sense and eat til you are full and don't eat out of habit. Once you get on the low carb regimen (~3-4 days) your appetite is suppressed and you should get by on 1,800 cal/day quite easily...at least that's my guess on what I am currently taking in. Take a look at The Rosedale Diet in your local bookstore.

Cyndi on 11/29/04 at 18:01 (164886)

I am also writing down everything I eat.

Makes me think twice before I open the cookies I bought!
So far, so good, I am down 4 lbs.

Julie on 11/30/04 at 06:42 (164938)

Cyndi - writing down what you eat is helpful. It's an integral part of the Weight Watchers programme (or was, when I did it seven years ago) and I found it very useful. It does make you think about whether you really, really want what you're about to eat! Congratulations on the four lost pounds.

Pat on 11/30/04 at 08:50 (164945)

I feel the same way you do Cyndi. I was overweight before and with this surgery and everything I put more on and I'm so disgusted it's not funny. I'm 4 weeks post op and it's still hard to get around as much as I need to so I tend to make things that are easy and, of course, fattening. And then there's the problem of living by myself so there's no one to go to the store and I'm not driving yet so I'm just hoping for the day I can fit into a regular shoe and drive and walk a little in the grocery store. I'm just afraid of doing to much and messing up the healing process. I do remember the Diabetic Exchange Diet that someone mentioned and it does work. Actually I think the old Weight Watcher programs took after it.

Re: Smoothies

Pat on 11/30/04 at 08:54 (164947)

One thing that I found in the past that has helped is having a Smoothie with Soy Milk in the morning. I buy the frozen fruit and defrost a cup of it for about 20 minutes. Then I put it in the blender with a cup of soy milk and 2 tablespoons of protein powder. You can add more or less soy milk depending on how thick/thin you like it. The whole thing is about 220 calories or something like that but the soy milk really does have an effect in keeping the hunger pains away for a few hours and it feels like you're drinking something healthy so that helps.