Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pregnancy and ESWT?

Posted by Brooke on 11/22/04 at 18:28 (164558)

Doctor,
I know that you can't have the ossatron if you are pregnant, but what about the dormier and the sonocur?

Re: Pregnancy and ESWT?

Dr. Z on 11/22/04 at 18:52 (164559)

Brooke

Both the Sonocur and the Dornier list pregnancy as a pre-caution

Brooke on 11/23/04 at 17:21 (164621)

Does that mean that ESWT is not an option at all if you are pregnant?

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/23/04 at 19:12 (164633)

Brooke:
Precautions are exactly that -- they are not 'absolute' so one must weigh the pluses and minuses. Keep in mind that during pregancy, the hormone relaxin which is a hormone which causes the pelvic ligaments to relax also 'softens' the ligaments of the foot and we often see the foot expand 1/2 to one size with each pregancy. The plantar fascia tries to resist the expansion and can become painful; that is why orthotics seem to work well during the last few months of pregnancy.
Ed

Dr Ben Pearl on 11/23/04 at 19:15 (164635)

personally, I would not

Brooke on 11/23/04 at 19:50 (164642)

Doctor, thank you very much for your input.

I am in my mid-thirties (wanting to start a family) and have had ESWT once, after fighing for insurance approval for several years, I wonder if I should try ESWT again and wait a little longer to start the family or wait until after having a child to have ESWT. Is there any benefit of one way versus the other?

Can relaxin be tested via a blood test? My SI joint is very loose and my friends with children tease me that my body is in a constant state of relaxin pregnancy.