Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise equipment

Posted by Greg on 11/23/04 at 14:19 (164606)

I have been a runner and have used a treadmill for serveral years, but find that I cannot run or use the treadmill wiht my heel problems.

Can someone tell me if an Eliptical Trainer would be usable without creating hell pain if I have Plantar Fascitis?

Re: Exercise equipment

Julie on 11/23/04 at 16:12 (164617)

Greg, I'm not a doctor, but I know about exercise and I'm familiar with the elliptical trainer. I would suggest that you try it, but if it causes you any pain (which it probably will, as it is weight-bearing even though you aren't impacting) then stop.

Read the heel pain book for a better understanding of PF and treatment options for it. While you are hurting, it is best to avoid weight-bearing exercise. Whatever you do, do not run, or walk, through the pain. That way lies chronicity.

Re: Exercise equipment

anne on 12/06/04 at 18:53 (165281)

Hi Greg

I have been suffering quite some time now with pf and I have found the Eliptical trainer to be a godsend! It's been my answer to a good cardio workout without aggravating the condition. I just saw my chiropodist today (to pick up my custom orthotics) and she agreed that the ET offers a good alternative. Make sure that your heel remains on the 'petal' during your workout. Good luck and enjoy!

anne