Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Peppering ..... for heel pain

Posted by Dieter Fellner on 11/23/04 at 15:16 (164610)

Here is another approach for heel pain. Has anyone experienced this?

'I work with two Physiotherapists who are both advanced traditional Chinese and, also, Western Accupuncturists. They have a technique for heel pain which involves 'peppering' the periosteum of the calcaneus with accupuncture needles. This also elicits an inflammatory response and apparently promotes healing and, therofore, pain-relief, in the same way as 'hitting it with a hammer' (see ECSWT thread on General Forum) and actual osteal drilling.

It is, as you can imagine, extremely painful to 'pepper' in this way and I have recently been carrying-out a tibial nerve block prior to 'needling'. Results are to be awaited, but, obviously, this technique has the advantage of being able to be performed in a clinical room, with little, or no, post-op infection risk.

Phyisos will also use a technique called myofascial release, with some success.'

Re: Peppering ..... for heel pain

Dr. Z on 11/23/04 at 16:29 (164620)

Dieter,
I tried a very small group of patients with this technique years ago. In my hands the results were fair. They also do this for tennis elbow and reports better results then I could achieve with this technique. Keep us updated

Re: Peppering ..... for heel pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/24/04 at 13:41 (164669)

Dieter:
This sounds somewhat different but a couple of decades ago, an Egyptian orthopedic surgeon hypothesized that vascular 'conjestion' of the calcaneus was the culprits and made multiple small holes in the heel bone with small metal wires (k-wires). He did have a small following in the US.
Ed