Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF Recovery

Posted by Ed on 11/24/04 at 19:17 (164681)

I'm past my 11th month post-EPF and it is very gradually, repeat, VERY GRADUALLY healing. At this pace I will take another six to eight months to recover. I have no heel pain, but the release has created a burden on couple of tendons on each side of my foot and they are constantly sore. I have had physical therapy and have inserts but this long of a recovery period is ridiculous. At what point do I just give up and live with this? Any doc's have some thoughts on this?

Re: EPF Recovery

Dr. Z on 11/24/04 at 19:27 (164683)

I have spoke with patients that told me it took TWO YEARS . I think that is ridiculous but I did hear this . The problem is that the pf isn't reattached and your are transferring weight to tendons that can't handle this and are in pain. Good Luck

Pat on 11/24/04 at 20:07 (164684)

Is this common that the PF didn't reattach? I had this surgery on 11/3 and I'm curious. I thought it either attaches or there is scar tissue there. Can this man get an MRI or some other test that would show what's going on.

Dr. Z on 11/25/04 at 09:28 (164702)

Its not common but does happen as you can see. An MRI could be done but a clincial examination would probaby show that the plantar fascia is weakened compared to the opposite foot.

Pat on 11/25/04 at 10:22 (164707)

Thanks for the info. Since I had all this trouble with PF I'm becoming obsessed with feet! LOL!

john king on 11/26/04 at 06:35 (164733)

I went to my Veterans Adminstration hospital podiatarist. She says the VA does not even do EPF anymore except under extream conditions due to failure rate.

Pat on 11/26/04 at 08:42 (164736)

There probably is a high failure rate but I think alot of it depends on the doctor, his credentials (some doctors have no business cutting your foot), the patient (how they heal, how they take care of themselves after the surgery) etc. The VA doesn't do EFP but I'm sure they don't do ESWT either (I work for the Federal Gov't and my sister works for the VA Hospital so I know about the limitations) so I don't know what they expect you to do. Most people can't put up with chronic pain for years - I'm one of them. I had the surgery on 11/3 (I also had it ten years ago) and while it may not be the best treatment I'm playing it by ear and seeing how it works.