Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm going in for 2nd PF Surgery! Questions!

Posted by Kathy on 11/26/04 at 01:23 (164723)

Hi all!
I am going for 2nd PF surgery thursday, Dec. 2nd. And was wondering if anyone here has had the plantar Fasia completely released! And does it help? How long should I expect for healing and all this pain to go away!
I had my 1st PF surgery August 26th, 2004. It worked for a few weeks then I went back down hill like I never had surgery before. I also got Tarpel Tunnel. UGH! I have been to PT and had all the shots I can have and nothing is working. I have done the stretching, ultrasounds and the electo thing. I have the support shoes and soles. Nothing is helping. I am getting worst as each week passes! I can barely walk half the week, causing me to gain more weight which I know is not good for it too. I have night splint and take alot of meds. Has anyone been like this? Has anything helped? After reading this site I am so scared this 2nd surgery won't help but make me worse. I am just 29 yrs old with 3 young kids to chase after and I can't afford missing work and more of thier lives like I have for about the past yr. Does anyone know what I should do? I am so sick of all of this that I am so tempted to beg for amputation and get a fake foot. I really don't want to but I can't handle all this pain and everything I am missing out on. Can someone please tell me that they have been thru the 2nd surgery and it went well lol
Looking for a miracle!
Thanks in advance!

Re: I'm going in for 2nd PF Surgery! Questions!

Pat on 11/26/04 at 08:34 (164734)

Hi Kathy,
I haven't had a second surgery but I am so sorry you are going through all this. I had the surgery (and i believe it was a full release but it was ten years ago) on my left foot and 3 weeks ago (EPF) on my right foot. On my right foot they also clipped off the heel spur and put some wires in my heel bone because I had a stress fracture that wouldn't heel (they were trying to put little holes in the bone to improve the circulation). This surgery typically takes up to a year (or sometimes more) to heal. With my first surgery I had a doctor that was terrible and had so many complications from the surgery (not to go into detail but he doctored the records showing what he had done and when I went to other doctors they didn't agree with the incisions on my foot) that it took almost a year before I didn't experience the excrutiating pain. I guess what I am wondering is if the doctor did a bone scan (maybe it's a stress fracture that won't heal), MRI or whatever to find out what is going on in your foot. I seriously would not let him touch my foot until I had some concrete answers. Also, the fact that you have kids and have to be active maybe played a part in your healing. The first time I had this surgery I pushed it and I think it really hindered my healing. I'm only 3-1/2 weeks post op this time but I am babying my foot and resting as much as possible. This surgery is so completely different than the first one and I know you can't always tell the outcome this early but if I were you I would get a second opinion.

Kristie on 11/28/04 at 07:54 (164781)

I'm so sorry your in so much pain. I havn't had two surgeries on my feet just one EPF. The doctor helped my entraped Baxter nerve and release 2/3 of the PF. It was a very long six months of recovery but that's it. I'm so happy to say that everything my doctor told me was right it would take six months and she was right to the day. I'm not saying that the last six months weren't hard. But really what is six months in the course of a life time. I feel so much better now I'm concidering doing my other foot.

I hope everythng goes well for you. You sound like you have been though so much. I'll be thinking and praying for you. I hope you can get some help around the house and with your kids while you recover. That's the best advice I can give you is to let your foot heel. Try and stay off of it. I know it's easier said than done but it the best of your recovery.

Please keep us posted.

Kathy on 11/29/04 at 08:33 (164840)

Well thanks Kristie and PAt!!!! I will need any and all prayers! Well I went to my asthma dr Friday and he said my asthma is too bad for surgery! UGH! SO I have to wait 2 to 3 mths before I can even rescheledule my surgery =(. Man when it rains it pours! I will keep everyone updated as to when and if I have my surgery. I am just to the point I don't care as long as it gives me some relief.
Email me at (email removed) if anyone wants to talk.
Thanks so much!

Re: I'm going in for 2nd PF Surgery! Questions!...Back on

Kathy on 12/21/04 at 09:15 (165915)

ok, Well my asthma is alot better so My surgery is back on for Dec. 30th.
I have checked into it and know im taking a risk but pray it helps me. I am still in alot of pain and still going down hill from before the 1st surgery. Is there anything I need to know before this surgery?

Pat on 12/21/04 at 22:39 (165955)

Kathy you have to realize that this surgery is going to take longer to heal and I know you have the three young kids but the longer you try to stay off your foot initially and let it heal the better off you'll be. Someone posted a note about something called a Roller-aid which is similar to what I rented but better because it turns. Try to get something like that. It helped me so much because I live by myself and after my friends left (they were here round the clock for two weeks) and I started doing things myself it was nice just to be able to rest my knee/leg on that thing and wash my face or heat something in the microwave or whatever. Someone else told me to place a chair by the sink to do the same thing so you're not weight bearing on this foot. I had EPF on 11/3 and my foot hurts if I walk to much - it's not the PF kind of hurt but it's sore and strained and that doesn't help. Just try to stay off your foot, take advantage of anyone that is willing to help, when your foot starts feeling better massage it every night and get an ice bag and ice, ice, baby! LOL!

Kathy C on 12/26/04 at 06:06 (166137)

Well Thankfully my hubby helps out so much!!! He watches the kids, cooks, cleans, laundry and even does the shopping! I really hope this will help. My other foot is going bad cause of all the extra weight that I been putting on it cause the right one is so bad so Hopefully this surgery will fix before I have to go thru all this again with the left one. Wonder where do ya get that rollar aid?
ALso they are giving me a walker after this surgery cause ummm IM not too cordinated and me and Crutches would be Disasterous! lol
You can email me at (email removed) For some reason I cant get into my yahoo email. Thanks for all the info you have given to me!
I will keep ya updated. I go for pre op testing Tomorrow. Then surgery is Thursday. I am a little nervous but im thinking what do I have to lose. If this doesnt work. They will release the nerve next time cause I also have Tarpel Tunnel Syndrome. So I hope this works. I am also on prenisone every day due to my asthma 20 mg and have gained so much weight and I need to get it off but until I get my foot problem taking care of its hard to walk or anything.

Mike C on 1/01/05 at 21:35 (166379)

The plantar fascia is an important biomechanical structure with a very important function. Heel spurs are virtually never a cause of pain. The origin of the plantar fascia ( where it connects to the bottom of the heel bone ) becomes painful because the calf is tight and the ankle does not move normally while walking. This problem is very sucessfully treated by calf stretching - knee straight, bend as far forward on the ankle as you can keeping the heel on the ground - 20 seconds - 20 repetitions - 3 times each day. Significant improvement over 4 to 8 weeks.
Anyone who would cut the plantar fascia or remove a 'heel spur' does not understand foot biomechanics and should not be operating on feet.

rob a on 1/22/05 at 23:00 (167747)

The rolleraid can be viewed at http://www.rolleraid.com . Maybe it will help you get around.

Billyemay on 7/20/07 at 18:02 (233276)

I've been having heel pain for several years and have gotten cortisone shots and just now started exercises. Every time I start walking a lot, it comes back. would you suggest surgery or just the exercises and will they finally help and I will be able to walk again and play tennis. Kathy, did you recover well from your surgery- it was several years ago, but I'm so tired of not being able to walk a lot on trips and on airlines. Let me know. Billyemay

ann C on 3/21/08 at 04:46 (244822)

how is your foot or feet doing. im just starting this mess