Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Greetings

Posted by Necee on 11/30/04 at 00:22 (164929)

Well, how has everyone been? Things are perking right along for me. We are at the painting stage on the new house, with all the rain delays things have been moving slowly. We were hoping to be in by Thanksgiving, that didn't happen, then we were hoping for Christmas, don't think that will happen either....so now it looks like we'll be moving after the first of the year.
I have found that I can't stand on a ladder for any length of time without my feet hurting. I was wallpapering, and had to quit because my feet just couldn't handle those ladder rungs any longer.
Speaking of wallpaper, have any of you done that faux leather technique on your walls? It's a very simple procedure, and the results are great! Once it's finished the wall looks just like brown aged leather. I did it in my mud room, and really like the way it turned out.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Greetings

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/04 at 18:44 (164993)

Glad to see your posts, Necee!

How exciting that your house has come along so far! They always seem to take longer than expected, don't they. Still, it is probably more convenient to wait until after the holidays to move.

I haven't done the faux leather technique but I've seen it on HGTV shows sometimes. It does look great! It looks hard to do, so I'm glad to hear that it was simple.

I haven't stood on a 'real' ladder since PF, mostly because I am heavy and afraid of falling. But, I have one of those very stable short ladders with about three steps that are wider, which I use around the house. It folds up to go in the closet; you probably have seen them, too. Something like that probably wouldn't hurt your feet, but you can't climb too high on one since they are not built for it.

Carole C

Linda V on 11/30/04 at 19:23 (164997)

Hi,
I have seen the technique on TV...but never seen it in person. Sounds great! Where are you building? We are also at the mercy of a builder who has delayed us from December until..February so far.....

Kathy G on 12/01/04 at 09:58 (165017)

Necee,

So nice to hear from you! New houses do have a way of being delayed. My sister who raised her house on Chesapeake Bay, following the hurricane that destroyed the entire lower level, is the only person I know whose construction went completely on schedule. I suspect that the contractor would tell me it was because my brother-in-law, who's semi-retired, drove them all crazy! When I worked for architects, our projects seldom were completely right on schedule but our clients knew that the completion date was based on the perfect scenario where all the subs were on time and all the product was delivered on time.

It will be worth the wait, I'm sure, and I hope you post some pictures of the completed project so we can see it. It's so funny, when I watched part of the 'Dallas' reunion, I kept thinking to myself, 'I actually know someone who lives on a Texas ranch!'

I have no experience with any of the faux finishes although I find some of them quite intriguing. Don't hurt your feet so that you can't enjoy the rest of the process! Maybe you need someone to do the upper portions while you do the lower ones, while sitting. I don't know if that would be possible or not.

Keep us posted and take care of those feet! :)

Suzanne D. on 12/01/04 at 21:55 (165051)

Necee, it's so good to hear from you! I hope your house will be ready soon. It sounds as if you have been working hard. Could you perhaps get a ladder with nice big steps rather than the rungs? I imagine that would be painful.

Please do share some pictures of your house with us whenever you can!
Suzanne :)

Necee on 12/02/04 at 01:17 (165054)

So nice to hear from ya'll, thanks for the kind words.

Linda V. We are building on our ranch outside a small Texas town called Corsicana.
We went to check on things yesterday and the stone mason was just finishing up on the fireplace, and the stone that arches over the cooktop....I was so thrilled, I could hardly contain myself! We worked hard all day Wednesday putting up these rustic spruce beams in the kitchen and den ceilings. I'm so glad thats over with.

I've been taking pictures so hopefully I'll be able to get some up on the Shutterbug website before too long.

Happy trails....

Necee