Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calling John H

Posted by Julie on 12/01/04 at 11:56 (165023)

John

I received your email a few days ago and replied to it the same day, but it bounced back to me three times, on the next three days. This has happened before, if you remember, and I can't remember why! Anyway, I wanted you to know that I did receive it and was grateful for the information and the offer. Many thanks.

Can't spend longer at the computer as I have joined the painful low back brigade - my L5-S1 disc that has been degenerated for several years but has given me no trouble for ages has suddenly gone on strike and I am in the worst pain I have ever had. Can't get comfortable, sitting, lying, standing. Even walking hurts, but I'm trying to keep it moving with simple floor exercises

Signing off now - back onto the floor.

Re: Calling John H

john h on 12/01/04 at 13:23 (165029)

Julie I know as much about back pain as I do PF. I am sure you have found when you lay on the floor you should prop both of your legs up on an ottoman with knees bent at a 90 degee angle.Place your touche righ up against the ottoman This unloads your back. Sitting and driving have always been the worst thing I can do. Strangely walking helps.Placing a pillow(s) under your knees in bed also helps unload the low back and is useful Take your pick but ice or heat also help as often the pain comes from muscles getting tight and going into spasm in the low back and not from a pinched nerve. Massage is excellent for back pain but of course no cure for degenerative disc disease which everyone will get if they live long enough. Some people can have disc that have totall deteroriated and have no symptoms. Others can have just a slight deteroriation and have severe pain. I am sure you have some exercises in your yoga program you use. Pain in the leg or legs usually indicates a pinched nerve and actually helps the Doctor with his diagnosis. Just back pain like I have makes it much harder for a Doctor to pin point the problem. In the early stages of a severe attack of back pain rest is a must but as the back. calms down it is important to get up and go as to much rest will only make it worse. On occasion I might just make a slight move as in bending over the sink to brush my teeth and it feels like something tears in my back and it might put me down for a couple of days. Yet, I can lift a 300 Lb riding lawn mower on end and have no pain. Does not make much sense but not uncommon. Some people find temporary relief that can last for months with an epidural but they never did anything for me. Neither did accupuncture. When I exercised 5-6 days a week on a regular basis for years my back was under control. PF put an end to that and started up my back pain again. I recently purchased an excellent chair that has to many adjustments to count that provides super support and helps with prolonged sitting. They are not inexpensive but worth it in the long run. I never found much help with meds either. Now, after all this talk I think I will beat a path to the health club and practice some of what I talk about..

Cyndi on 12/01/04 at 20:01 (165044)

So sorry to hear your are down Julie. You are always so perky and upbeat!
Please know we are thinking of you. A heating pad helped me some years ago
and rest. Get back walking as you can, but, you know that!

Julie on 12/02/04 at 06:15 (165059)

Thank you, Cyndi. I'm not feeling very perky at the moment, but am hoping for improvement. it helps to know that I'm being thought of. I'm moving as much as I can, and yes, heat helps.

Re: Calling John H (and Dorothy)

Julie on 12/02/04 at 08:00 (165065)

Thanks, John! All good advice. I have been aware of most of it, but hadn't thought of putting my legs up on the ottoman (in my case our bed: perfect height) so I'm grateful for this suggestion: it is one of the only tolerable positions I've been able to find. (Squatting is a relief too!)

Yes, I have a few simple exercises that are do-able, and that give some relief while I'm doing them. I'm sure they're helping overall: it's important to keep mobile. The most comforting one is from all-fours position, on the hands and knees: move your buttocks in big circles, stretching back towards one heel, then over to the other, and then back to the start position. Dorothy, if you're reading, maybe this would be possible for you?

Walking - for the first time - does not help. It hurts. I hate that!

Thanks again, John. Now I'm off to the floor with my legs on the bed to listen to a relaxation tape.
:)