Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anopther recommendation

Posted by Dorothy on 12/05/04 at 01:41 (165210)

Some of you may recall that I posted a link to this website which I think has some interesting essays and information - will come to you as a very short e-mail newsletter if you sign up (free/no spam, etc.). The link is: http://www.NewsTarget.com

Recently the author posted information about fish oil supplements being shown to be a very effective substitute for Vioxx. For those of you looking for a substitute for that RX, you might want to read what he has to say.

Re: Anopther recommendation

Cyndi on 12/05/04 at 18:53 (165231)

A very informative site. Thanks Dorothy!

john h on 12/07/04 at 10:58 (165300)

My wife has been on fish oil capsules for around 10 years for arthritis. Many Ruhematologist reccomend fish oil as an anti inflamatory.

Dorothy on 12/07/04 at 14:40 (165312)

John - I wasn't taking Vioxx or any of that type, but when I read that piece about fish oil supplements being an effective alternative to Vioxx, I began taking it. This was around the time that I began to notice improvement in the back. Now it may be coincidence and it may be fish oil and it may be old socks! But I figure the fish oil supplements can only help anyway, so what the hay! I hope they help your wife. It sounds like she has quite a lot to deal with (no, I don't mean you!) - but I bet that new car will bring some peace of mind to both of you. It truly IS amazing. I love the Onstar ads on the radio and my husband and I have had fun making up our own (we think we're very funny!) I hope your Onstar never has to be used, but if it does, what a great piece of security equipment that is.

john h on 12/08/04 at 08:30 (165339)

Dorothy: I really do not know how Mary handles all her medical problems that have developed in the past 4 years. Externally she is stoic. She has had cancer, heart arythmia,macular degeneration, ruhematoid arthritis, and some high frequency loss in hearing. In treating her macular degeneration they injected a dye into her arm. This dye promptly reaches the blood vessels in the macula which the Doctor can see through his scope. At that point the eye is treated with a 'cold' laser which activates they dye to stop any bleeding. Ater such a treatment you have to cover yourself head to toe and wear gloves and big hat. You avoid any sunlight or any halogen lighting for 5 days. Basically you can come out at night or stay inside.. Sun light or halogen lighting will activate this dye in the body causing serious problems and it takes 5 days to expell.. I keep quiet about my back and feet as she has more than enough to deal with. She went swimming at 6 this morning as is her usual routine. I went with her to the ear doctor last week and learned something interesting. She told him she always wore ear plugs when swimming as do many of the regular swimmers I observe. The Doctor advised her that there was no reason for her to wear ear plugs when swimming unless she was prone to ear infections. He said regardless of what kind of ear plugs you wear water will get behind them. He further said ear plugs tend to push ear wax further back into the ear. All this reminds me of an often quoted statement 'getting old is not for sissys'

Julie on 12/08/04 at 11:17 (165354)

Boy, it surely isn't, John. You said it. :)

I wear ear plugs for swimming because I AM prone to ear infections. I use the wax kind, and if I'm consistent with them I don't get infections.

Best wishes to Mary. It really does sound like she has a lot to cope with.

Dorothy on 12/08/04 at 12:17 (165362)

Then how wonderful and fortunate it is that the two of you have each other each day. Tell her to take the earplugs out so you can tell her that we all love you and so we know that she must be wonderful, too, and that there are people out here she doesn't even know who wish her well because she is John's 'girl.'