Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lets talk scar tissue

Posted by Buck on 12/06/04 at 07:42 (165252)

This seems to be the most common problem associated with the TTS release surgery.

Can those that have this surgery help provide information on scar tissue.

I am looking for both suggestions on what has been helpful in either keeping scar tissue from forming and what is helpful in breaking up scar tissue.

Also, I am curious as to what the scar tissue pain/discomfort feels like and when it occurs (how long after surgery). My TTS pain ranges from a 2 - 6 (out of 10). I am curious as to how painful the scar tissue pain would be and what to look for post surgery.

Thanks
Buck

Re: lets talk scar tissue

chris on 12/06/04 at 08:08 (165253)

Boy I sure do wish I could remember becuase I did have scar tissue build following my pf and tts surgery.

I want to say that I had sweeling and soreness at the tts incision site. They sent me to pt and had me do all kinds of strength exercises for my foot - some I thought we kind of wierd like standing on one foor and holding some sort of flexible bar in my hand and shaking in various directions.

I'm so sorry that I can't remnember all the details.

denise g on 12/06/04 at 16:37 (165278)

Scar tissue is my main problem since tss surgery. Scar tissue pain kicked in about 6 weeks after surgery directly above the incision and surrounding area. It was like a burning pain, that is what the physical therapist said gave her the information that it was a scar tissue pain. She uses el. stimulation as well as machine with a wand attached that she massages around the ares (I can't remember the name)
But basically she tries to loosen the scar tissue with a very heavy type of massage around the scar and I do this a few times a day at home. It seems to be helping. I am now 9 weeks post op and still going for therapy.
Denise

Missy B on 12/07/04 at 11:10 (165303)

Next month is my 3 year anniversary post tarsal tunnel release surgery. I guess I am one of the lucky ones when I say that I am at least 95% pain free today and most days I have no residual pain at all. As far as scar tissue formation - I have almost none. My doctor did mention that some patients are genetically predispositioned to form heavy scar tissue after surgery and that their alternative may be to have the scar tissue removed.

His treatment for inhibiting scar tissue development was good old fashion
cocoa butter. I bought a large stick of it and as soon as my stitches were removed, I began rubbing the incision area several times a day with the cocoa butter, gently massaging it in and moving skin on the side of my heel and ankle back and forth to keep it loose. I kept this up daily for about a year and it made my skin so nice and soft that I still massage my ankles and feet a few times a week with cocoa butter cream just for good foot health.