Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone tried this yet?

Posted by Elyse B on 12/06/04 at 08:36 (165255)

I found this on this site and am wondering if anyone actually bought it and tried it. Not sure if it is another 'gimmick.'

http://www.fabrifoam.com/p-psc.html

Re: Has anyone tried this yet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/06/04 at 13:52 (165267)

Elyse:
This works a bit like taping your foot so if taping helps, this product may help. It is not a gimmick -- it does help a number of people.
Ed

Elyse B on 12/06/04 at 15:05 (165271)

Dr. Ed, but it does seem like just putting an ace bandage on the foot. What is theory behind this, it holds your foot in place so you don't pronate? That is what I am getting from reading the info on the site. But wouldn't the same thing work if you had stability sneakers?

Linda V on 12/06/04 at 20:16 (165284)

To me, it almost sounds like compression sox, which have helped others...doesn't it? I have access to some 'memory foam' and plan to do a little martha stewart with velcro and see if i can make my own.

Elyse B on 12/07/04 at 07:12 (165293)

the contraption says that it will help you from pronating. Since it looks like an ace bandage I don't see how it is strong enough to do that. A compression sock would help pronating? Let me know how your Martha Stewart moment with the memory foam works out.

Julie on 12/07/04 at 09:07 (165296)

Looks like a stabilising device, which would help control over-pronation. (As would an ace bandage, though perhaps not as effectively. As would taping.)

Elyse B on 12/07/04 at 10:04 (165297)

thanks, it just seems very 'gimmicky'. I wonder if one had stability sneakers why one would need this.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/13/04 at 19:24 (165586)

Elyse:
An ace bandage is too stretchy and is designed for compression; it has no directional stability. The Fabrifoam device has a specific shape that attempts to mimick what a low dye taping does, that is, bring the forefoot and rearfoot closer together, removing strain from the plantar fascia.
Ed