Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Iontophoresis

Posted by Lana on 12/07/04 at 11:48 (165308)

I have a question about iontophoresis. I had it for the first time yesterday and the technician placed the electrode with medication directly on the heel where the pain is. Is this how it is supposed to be done? I thought it needs to be placed on the plantar fascia where the the source of inflammation is.

Re: Iontophoresis--Dr Ed or Z

john h on 12/08/04 at 08:35 (165340)

Lana I do not know but it seems to me that the electrode should be placed where the pain is. I have had that treatment a number of times and the electrode was always placed where the pain was. Even more troubling is that the skin on the heel appears to be some of the tougher skin on the body which would make it more difficult to get the meds through the skin. Dr. Z or Ed should weigh in on this. Did you ask the therapist why he was doing this?

Re: Iontophoresis--Dr Ed or Z

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/09/04 at 20:36 (165419)

john:
Ideally, it would be most helpful to be able to do ionto over the area of maximum pain but due to the thich heel skin we often see better results palcing the active pad over the thin skin on the inside of the heel.
Ed

Re: Iontophoresis

Dr. Z on 12/10/04 at 00:27 (165427)

Hi
I am really not sure how effective ionophoresis is for plantar fasciitis. Just too thick/deep for effective treatment. I like ultrasound and electrical stimulation for

Re: Ultra Sound post ESWT

Lynn F. on 12/10/04 at 15:03 (165450)

Hi Dr. Z - I started PT last week, they gave me ultrasound and I was considerably sore (burning) afterwards. I had also done several (non-weight bearing) exercises and afterwards did some shopping -- all of which may have contributed to the increase in pain. So it's hard to determine whether the pain was a result of the ultra sound or just all the other stuff I did. The therapist suggests I have 6-8 more treatments but I'm reluctant. At 10 weeks post ESWT (today) can the ultra sound hurt or hinder my progress? Thanks!