Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medical mystery Part 2 for Dr. Davis

Posted by Karen L. on 12/08/04 at 09:10 (165347)

Dr. Davis, I went to see new podiatrist about the toe pain and he had a very bewildered look on his face. He gave me some toe pads to place over the toes so that the second toe wouldn't hit it and he taped my left foot to see if that would help the pain-if it did he thinks that i would need orthotics.I asked him about the hallicus limitus- he said that the toes are limited in upward motion, but i would be getting pain at the sesamoid bones from that, not on the top of my toe. I think he is thinking overuse, other than that he doesn't have a clue, i am totally discusted and don't know what to do next, any suggestions?

Re: Medical mystery Part 2 for Dr. Davis

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/08/04 at 15:36 (165369)

Karen:

I don't know what to say. You have provided very clear information about your problem and any competent practitioner should, unless there is something I am missing, should have no difficulty formulating a treatment plan.

The best advice to add now is to find another doc. Let me know where you live as I will see if I know someone in your area. One option for doing a search is http://www.acfas.org
Ed

Karen L. on 12/09/04 at 07:21 (165397)

Dr.Davis,I wanted to add that the doc said that we should try conservative methods first.I explained that I have thoughts of having my toes removed and that the pain is so bad that i can hardly walk and he had nothing to say but that some people never find out where their pain is coming from, then i was speechless. I told him that i thought that there was nerve involvement and he said that he would see me in 2 weeks and if it still hurts he would try cortisone and something about an injection of something into the nerve. Well, i put the pads on my toes and they lasted about an hour and the burning got worse so i took them off and the tape isn't making any difference.I also told him that i tried a pair of birkenstock shoes and that they didn't help.My toes are throbbing from behind the nail bed up to the tips,is the digital nerve in that area?

Karen L. on 12/09/04 at 08:46 (165398)

Just remembered that i wanted to tell you that when this pain first started it felt like something in my arch pinched and now realizing that the flexor hallicus longus is really tight(causing hallicus limitus)maybe this has something to do with this pain?I have had x rays of my toes that don't show anything wrong as far as the bones that cause hallicus limitus- it is probably from the pf and that longus tendon being tight. I also know that when i do stretches for pf it makes the pain flare up. I am trying to give you all of my observations. Thanks, Karen

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/11/04 at 12:17 (165483)

Karen:
I beleieve in trying every REASONABLE conservative modality for most foot problems. But if you have a severe degree of hallux rigidus, most of the things discussed may only cause more pain so it is not reasoable to do them just to say, I've tried. There are times, and based on you description, you are in one of those situations where your options are twofold: 1) do the surgery as indicated or 2)obtain a good pair of shoes where a medium distal rocker sole is placed so that you are not forcing a joint to move that just won't move without a lot of pain.
Ed