Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this right for me?

Posted by AmyA on 12/08/04 at 14:32 (165366)

I have been dealing with PF for 14 months, been under treatment for 5 months. Have tried orthotics, cortisone shots, stretching, yoga, even chiropractic and trigger point massage. I have seen improvement related to my stretching the chiro and massage, but nothing my podiatrist did made much difference. It was only after I asked specifically about ESWT that he discussed the option with me. He said I'd be a good canditate and claimed a 95% success rate for the procedure.

I am reluctant to trust him since he's done little to help me, and I am also afraid about the reliability of the procedure. I have read about studies that say it's great and others that say it isn't clinically proven to make any difference at all. I met someone who had it and she said go for it it worked for her. The money is a really big impediment, though, as it will cost $2000 per foot and insurance won't cover much of it.

Any advice?

Re: Is this right for me?

Elyse B on 12/08/04 at 15:04 (165367)

read everything on this board, everyone has had different results.

Ralph on 12/08/04 at 18:49 (165381)

Find out exactly what he means by a 95% success rate. Talk is cheap but obviously not the cost of his treatment.

Julie on 12/08/04 at 19:26 (165383)

I think you are right to be reluctant. Do your research: this website is a good place to start. The cost quoted is high, and so is the claimed success rate, which makes me wonder if his evaluation of you can be trusted. At the very least, see and discuss your options with another podiatrist before making that level of investment.

joeW on 12/09/04 at 15:09 (165403)

I had it done in Waterford Mi last Thursday, I notice an improvement already maybe 40%, The Dr. Jeffrey Klein told me it was about 80% effective and he has been doing them for years. He had a special $699 rate on his web site http://www.footpaindoc.com .

It is suppose to take 6 weeks to really start getting better and heal by 12 weeeks. Good Luck!

joeW on 12/09/04 at 15:13 (165406)

I had it done last Thursday in Detroit for $699 total per foot. Web site is http://www.footpaindoc.com , Dr. Jeffrey Klein, very good! I have about a 30% improvement already, suppose to take 6 - 12 weeks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/13/04 at 19:19 (165585)

No treatment is 100% effective but ESWT has been around for greater than 10 years and has an excellent success rate. The downside, unlike surgery is minimal so the benefit to risk ratio is very good.