Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is anyone else here upset about Pale Male and Lola?

Posted by marie on 12/10/04 at 17:23 (165456)

I just can't believe the cold hearted people who had Pale Male and Lola's nest of more than 10 years removed from their Manhatten Apartments. For those of you who don't know who Pale Male is....I'll explain. He is the ONLY red tailed hawk to take a home in a urben setting. He came to new York City in the early 90's and claimed Central Park for his hunting ground. He has had several mates and has raised 2 dozen chicks to the delight of thousands of new Yorkers who had never seen a red tailed hawk. Pale Male survived 9/11 and is even a famous movie star, as PBS did a documentry on him a few years ago. He has been an inspirational symbol of survival to all of new York. My heart is broken about this.

Here is a link to one of Pale Male's favorite supporters who passed away earlier this year. We can all relate to his quote on Carpal Tunnel.

http://www.palemale.com/drfisher.html

Today I made this print about my emotions on this incident.
http://edonart.jrmhost.com/images/st-francis-crys-for-pale-ma.gif

best wishes marie

Re: Is anyone else here upset about Pale Male and Lola?

marie on 12/10/04 at 17:24 (165457)

OH forgot the title of the piece is 'St. Francis Weeps for Pale Male'.

Necee on 12/10/04 at 22:47 (165463)

I'm upset Marie, I saw that on the news a few nights ago, and was shocked to say the least. There should have been measures taken to work around the problem with the hawk instead of disrupting his life.
I could go on and on about this subject, but I think I better quit for now.

Happy trails....

Necee

Necee on 12/10/04 at 22:56 (165464)

I thought the photographs of Pale Male were absolutely wonderful!

Happy trails..
Necee

Dorothy on 12/11/04 at 12:30 (165485)

Marie -
I don't know about this so I will have to do some searching to find out what has happened. I appreciate your making this point so I can do so. I've been kind of 'out of the loop' lately and haven't seen news reports about this. So - more follow-up later after I'm more informed, but thanks again.

Re: New York blogger used my protest artwork!

marie on 12/12/04 at 09:10 (165528)

http://www.whatsnextblog.com/archives/2004/12/artist_creates.asp

I just hope it'll help make a difference for Pale Male and Lola.

Dorothy on 12/12/04 at 19:49 (165542)

Marie ! That is exciting! I hope that this not only helps the cause but also brings your work a wider audience, which it deserves. Congratulations.

Kathy G on 12/13/04 at 09:07 (165553)

That's just beautiful, Marie. I have great admiration and stand in awe of anybody who's artistic and gifted like you are. When I was in art class, as a child, my art teacher used to have to go out in the hall to laugh at my creations because he didn't want to hurt my feelings! When I was in fifth grade, I told him he didn't have to try not to laugh because I thought what I drew was hilarious, too! This was back in the days when the art teacher would show a project and everyone was supposed to recreate it. He actually was a pretty good teacher and let us go and do whatever we wanted, usually on a theme he suggested. We became great friends and he urged me to consider becoming a cartoonist but I used to tell him these were Serious Drawings, not cartoons!

It's a shame about those hawks and I hope that your artistic protest will bring more publicity to the situation.

marie on 12/13/04 at 15:18 (165567)

me too! I'll update if there is any significant news. CNN reported on it this morning. There was suppose to be a meeting on the problem but I don't have any updates yet.

I understand just how your teacher felt.......sometimes I have to walk away so I don't laugh too. Sounds like you had a very nice teacher. I always tell the kids you may or may not walk out of here as an artist but my goal is that you leave a better artist then you were when you walked in.

marie