Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FLU

Posted by Necee on 12/10/04 at 23:09 (165465)

Any of you, or anyone you know have the flu?

I'm not talking about the common cold either, I'm talking about the full blown flu. Well, it's here in Texas. My husband got sick last week, he's one to never complain, and hardly ever gets sick, but I've never seen him this ill in all our years of married life. He's lost 10 lbs in 7 days, he said he aches all over, had a high fever, headaches, and has been sleepless for most nights this past week.
I'm sure doing my best to sterilize everything he has been in contact with. I don't want to catch it, especially right here at Christmastime!
If you've had it, or know of anyone that does please post, and tell me what works best to alieviate the pain and discomfort. The Dr gave him tamuflu, but it sure is taking a long time to kick in.

Happy trails...
Necee

Re: FLU

Carole C in NOLA on 12/11/04 at 07:57 (165472)

Some people at work had the flu, but nobody that I'm normally around very much. It's scary to think that we are unprotected from the flu this year. Maybe your husband should call the doctor; it sounds like he is suffering a lot, and maybe the doctor has some ideas.

What you DON'T want to happen, is for him to get a secondary infection such as pneumonia due to being weakened by the flu. I really would urge him to call or see his doctor again.

Sorry that you are having to cope with this, and I hope you don't get it too!

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/11/04 at 08:02 (165473)

P.S., Necee and others here: I've saved up a week and a half of sick leave at my job, just in case I get the flu. It's probably a good idea to be prepared in advance! Even though the news media says it's a light flu year, a number of us could catch it.

Carole C

marie on 12/11/04 at 14:15 (165488)

Sorry to hear about your husband. Yikes that is awful. So far we haven't had it too bad here but it's still early in the flu season.

Let us know how he's doing. I have to agree with Carol if he hasn't been to the doctor he probably should go.

best wishes marie

Suzanne D. on 12/11/04 at 20:25 (165497)

Necee, please give my best wishes to your husband. I hope he feels better soon! As of now, I haven't heard of anyone with the flu here, but I imagine our time is coming.

Take care, and I hope you stay well!
Suzanne :)

Suzanne D. on 12/11/04 at 20:26 (165498)

As always, Carole, you are thinking ahead and in a practical manner. Must be the scientist in you! I hope you don't have to use your sick days.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/04 at 06:15 (165518)

Me too! I hope that none of us catch the flu. I usually get a flu shot, and it's a little scary to be unprotected this year.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 12/12/04 at 07:05 (165523)

I've had a flu shot each winter for years. I am also anxious about not being able to get one this year. The children in my class often get very sick while they are at school (You know how quickly a child can become sick!), and they have to have careful attention from me when that happens.

The best preventative for illness that I have is a kind, former special ed student who has come to my classroom each Friday afternoon for the past 7 years to volunteer. She goes to my church and after graduating at age 21, she really needed something to look forward to each week. She comes and washes the children's desks and then participates in some of our special activities. She takes great pride in her work, and I think she really does make a difference for my class. Every year, my class's attendance is better than most others, and I think it is due to the thorough job she does of washing those desks each week.

Have a good day, Carole! Is New Orleans all decked out for the season?

Dorothy on 12/12/04 at 19:57 (165543)

Suzanne, I think you are just the best!
By the way, teachers SHOULD be on the list of categories who should have the flu shot, if we must have such lists at all. Everyone knows that most of the common illnesses that go around are transferred among children to home and schools. You are so right about the importance of environmental and personal hygiene and sanitation. I've been doing some reading about the antibiotic resistant illnesses that are becoming - and expected to become even moreso - a very serious health concern. One of the ways in which MRSA can be and is transmitted is from a person's contact with a contaminated surface (yes, doorknobs, toilet seats, and the like..). You are being very smart to attend to those classroom surfaces, but once a week may be too little, too late during high-flu/cold season. I don't know the period of incubation for these organisms. MRSA is showing up in athletic teams across the country where infected players come into contact with each other during games; these illnesses are not minor.

Re: Flu Shots, Necee, general rambling

Kathy G on 12/13/04 at 09:40 (165557)

For those of you who haven't gotten them, I just read in the paper this morning that many areas have a surplus of flu vaccine because so few people even bothered to get a shot. It takes about two weeks for it to be effective so it's not too late to get one.

I haven't had one; haven't even tried, and I've gotten one every year that they've been available. My husband goes for his yearly physical Wednesday and he's going to ask our doctor if any vaccine is available in our area.

Necee,

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is so sick. We all say, 'flu,' like it's no big deal but it can make one very, very sick. I hope you don't catch it and you're both able to get back to working on your house and enjoying the holidays!

Oh and for Necee and everyone else, I have a thing about washing my hands in public restrooms. It just seems as though the sink area has got to be crawling with germs. I've taken to carrying alcohol wipes and I wipe my hands with those when I'm out in public, say after using a restroom or having shopped. I have never been 'germaphobic' and honestly don't think we need antibacterial soap, etc; in normal circumstances. I refuse to use it at home because I think our society is becoming dangerously close to desensitizing ourselves to common bacteria. But I do think that this year, we need to take more precautions than usual.

I sure hope it's working because my hands are chapped from being so dry! :)