Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video


Posted by John on 12/11/04 at 22:13 (165502)

I am 16 , obese occuredin to bmi, and i have severe heel spurs. I try to lose weight, is there any option i can use until i get down to my weight i need?

Re: Question

Julie on 12/11/04 at 23:46 (165513)

Swimming is the best non-weightbearing exercise. Had you thought of weights - upper body work only? Some people have found the elliptical trainer possible, and the recumbent bike. The main thing is to avoid exercise that will make your PF worse. Read the heel pain book for information and ideas.

Re: Question

henry b on 12/12/04 at 07:02 (165520)

ok thats good, whats the best type of shoe to buy? I have a pool so it works out.

Re: Question

Dorothy on 12/12/04 at 20:06 (165545)

Calorie reduction is something you can do even if you can't exercise vigorously yet. You should see a doctor and ask about being supervised in a calorie reduction program, which can be a drastic reduction if you are carefully monitored. If you are 'morbidly obese', your doctor will probably support your efforts. You are young so you need to be particularly careful about nutrition for short-term and long-term good health, but it will be to your advantage in every way if you can lose the excess weight that your body is carrying. Someone recommended swimming for heelspurs and non-weight-bearing exercise. Maybe you are not comfortable swimming if you are obese, but if there is a 'Y' where you live, they often have swimming programs for weight-loss efforts where other people would be in similar circumstances. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.