Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ready for 2nd treatment

Posted by Vicki B. on 12/13/04 at 15:12 (165566)

I had my first treatment here in Alberta, Canada two weeks ago. I am happy for the opportunity to have a physiotherapist visit our community and come with his Swiss DolorClast method of ESWT. He comes 5-hours north every other week to give these treatments. Cost? $1175C for both feet and that includes 3-treatment package. My foot was taped after first treatment to support it. I wore the tape for 4 days and then removed it. I wonder at others posting using stretching exercises because this has been discouraged with me. I have suffered for 5 years with foot pain..and gone the full course of treatment. Any comments from the mid course of treatment from anyone?

Re: ready for 2nd treatment

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/13/04 at 19:17 (165584)

Vicki:
You are lucky to have a practitioner with the Swiss DolorClast machine as it is not available in the US. Gentle, non-weight bearing stretches are generally helpful in the view of the majority of practitioners.
Ed

Vicki B. on 12/14/04 at 22:15 (165636)

My doctor here has said the Swiss DolorClast machine costs over $100,000! There is only one other machine in Canada that he knows of. He is very encouraged with the successes he has seen already. I have been told I have very 'loose' and flexible feet. The stretches I do are easy, natural and painless to do and I guess I do them by habit. By stretches I suppose it would refer to the achilles tendon or movement of the toes? I will ask my doctor about this when I go Thursday. I don't want to leave anything out that would help me!

Dr. Z on 12/15/04 at 19:26 (165692)

Vicki B,

Try the plantar fascia stretches that are linked on this web site. Very effective. Takes about six weeks to see some relief.

Lynn F. on 12/16/04 at 12:20 (165746)

Dr Z - What is your opinion on having ultra sound post ESWT? At 10 weeks, I was given one treatment in physical therapy but was so sore afterwards I've opted not to have any more for now. Still doing PT though and it's helping. Thanks ~

Vicki B. on 12/16/04 at 12:39 (165751)

Dr.Z,
I cannot find the stretches you indicated in your message. Where do I look to find this. I did view the heel pain categories but couldn't find what you were speaking of.

Dr. Z on 12/16/04 at 13:03 (165752)

Hi
If you are going to do PT use electric stim, whirlpool and ultrasound if not painful. PT causing pain is bad for you

Lynn F. on 12/16/04 at 14:22 (165756)

While I did have pain after the ultra sound, other conditions may have contributed (it was a very cold damp day and I had done more walking than usual). I just wanted to inquire to make sure ultra sound would not adversely affect my ESWT treatment. Thanks.

Julie on 12/16/04 at 14:44 (165759)

Vicki, there is now a link to the plantar fascia stretch. Those words should appear as a link: click on it and you'll get there.

Julie on 12/16/04 at 14:44 (165760)

It didn't. Let's try PF Stretch.

Julie on 12/16/04 at 14:45 (165761)

That's it, Vicki: PF Stretch. One click and you're there.

Re: ready for 3rd treatment!

Vicki B. on 12/18/04 at 12:34 (165834)

Thanks for the link for the PF stretch! I did check it out and eventually I will give it a try. We all know what that first morning step is like. I did ask my physician about exercises or stretches. For now he said don't do any of that! My second treatment is now finished and my first treatment on the other foot is done. Both of my feet are taped now and I'm to try to keep the tape dry for a week if I can. I was also instructed to not take a single step without my foot in an orthotic so that I don't stretch the fascia which is trying to heal. Anyone else follow a similar course with ESWT? In order to get the next treatment in good time I would have to travel 5 hours south to the clinic. My next treatment will be delayed a bit but I am assured none the less effective.
Vicki