Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more commentary on the Vitamin E controversy

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 12/13/04 at 17:06 (165573)

Re: more commentary on the Vitamin E controversy

Kathy G on 12/14/04 at 10:14 (165610)

Thanks for that story, Ed. I keep meaning to tell you, by the way, that I started taking Flaxseed oil and it doesn't repeat on me like the Fish oil did and is working out fine. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm back on Vitamin E so the article is reassuring. Here's why I started taking it again. At fifty-five and into menopause, my doctor was amazed I hadn't suffered any hot flashes. I chalked it up to being lucky. Then, about three or four weeks ago, that changed and I started having them. They were liveable during the day but they kept waking me up at night. With my OA and PF, I have enough trouble sleeping and don't really need another reason to be awake.

I decided that it was just a delayed reaction to menopause. Then I realized that the hot flashes started when I stopped taking the Vitamin E. I started taking it again and they have almost disappeared. I still get them but with much less freqency and hardly ever at night.

You must realize, by now, that I am the biggest skeptic who walks the earth and so I know it's not all in my mind because I honestly didn't think it would stop them. I tend not to believe what I read about many natural remedies until I see large, controlled studies on them. In this case, I did more research and decided the benefit far outweighed the risk and went for it. This article just confirms my decision. Thanks!

Re: more commentary on the Vitamin E controversy

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/14/04 at 21:56 (165634)

I really wish that the studies to back up more natural remedies were out there but there is a real paucity of studies in those areas. I feel that if it is in the public interest, the government should be focusing studies on areas that the public has a 'need to know.' Consider that billions per year is spent on chiropractic and we have few studies showing its efficacy, how it works, what it does,etc..