Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie

Posted by Dorothy on 12/14/04 at 10:49 (165615)

Julie - Rather than 'butting in' to your conversation with Ed, I will say that I read your comments to him about your osteopath's treatment (sitting on your feet, etc...) and your progress. I have been wondering how you were doing as more time has passed and was glad to read that you are still improving. I think the rate of your improvement from this painful attack also lends proof to your comments about the influence of yoga and your own basic health on your status, regardless of age. It seems like an eternity to the one in pain, but it wasn't THAT long really before you began to improve - or at least maybe not as long as it might have been if you didn't have yoga, etc. as part of your own strength.
Believe me, I am in NO WAY implying ANY negating or downgrading of the pain itself. Not at all. BELIEVE ME! I KNOW! Anyway, it's good news and I continue to hope you feel better.

Re: Dorothy

Julie on 12/15/04 at 02:52 (165646)

Hi Dorothy, and thanks for thinking about me. Of course you are right: it wasn't that long, and you are right too that yoga is the source of my strength and has been for many years. (It has also taught me that there is a source of strength that I can trust, outside and beyond my own strength.) And it has been my saviour through this experience. For about a week, when the pain was intense almost all of the time, I was able to breathe through it: I don't just mean 'breathing into the pain', I mean simply observing every inhalation and every exhalation and never looking beyond that breath, that moment: just staying where I am. To have learned that I can do this has been a tremendous learning and blessing.

It's interesting, isn't it, that I posted my long post about dealing with pain just before this happened. Did I see this coming? No, 'I' didn't, but some part of me must have sensed it. In that post I said things that I know to be true, that I know can work, but that I have now learned at a different, deeper level. An important aspect is that I realised very quickly that I needed to manage not only the pain, but my emotional response to it. 'Just breathing', staying in the mmoent, not looking beyond each breath, kept that response under control and kept me on a more or less even keel, so that the emotions didn't arise and therefore I didn't have to cope with the emotions as well as with the pain. That would have been a good deal more difficult. How it would have been had the intense phase gone on for longer, I can't know - I'm glad it didn't!

I am a good deal better. In the last couple of days I think I've turned the corner. I have what I would describe as bad backache, but it's bearable. I managed to back the car out of the garage the other day, so I can drive again, a relief as I was spending fortunes on cabs to get to the osteopath. We went shopping. I got myself to the hospital to get my MRI scan. I did some ironing yesterday. All feel like major achievements. I'm definitely on the mend.

Thanks for your comments. I do know that you Know!

Dorothy on 12/15/04 at 11:04 (165668)

Julie - Your comments on this are very interesting and thought-provoking. One wonders how much communication is going on at some cellular or chemical level (as when '...but some part of me must have sensed it..'). These insights, skills, practices are all good to know - for one thing, it is the rare bird who makes it through without any pain or obstacle - and also because it opens doors we might not have seen before. Julie, I am very grateful for your insights here and am so glad that you are feeling well enough to do those things that, just the doing of them, can contribute to feeling even better. On the mend is a good place to be.

I see from other posts that the antipathy for me that I too often have experienced here is again arising so I will just stay away for a while. I don't have the kind of strength right now to deal with that nonsense.
I did want to touch base with you first though - and am so glad that you have turned the corner. (I'm not inferring anything from your saying that you did some ironing, but I will tell you that I am undoubtedly in a minority when I say that I enjoy ironing - and I look forward to addressing the growing pile soon.) Good wishes to you ~

Julie on 12/15/04 at 14:41 (165676)

I enjoy ironing too, Dorothy, and I have been grateful for your communication with me during this difficult time. As I have said before - long ago now, it seems - we have a good deal in common.

Don't go: I need you here, and so do others. I was going to post something (new development) here tonight, but won't unless I know you are here to read it. So please, show your face.

wendyn on 12/15/04 at 21:14 (165702)

I don't know what you're talking about, but I need you both.

And I hate ironing.

(what happened to the little emotion faces we could put in our posts?)

:(

Re: Dorothy, please stay...

Suzanne D. on 12/15/04 at 21:55 (165705)

Dorothy, thank you very much for your comments to me concerning my daughter in another thread. I feel like you understand and have a great deal of knowledge concerning the issue. Please don't go away! I guess that sounds selfish, and if you need to take some time away, I don't mean to try to stop you. But, as you said to Julie, I am grateful for your insights and hope that you'll keep posting.

I am glad that both you and Julie are feeling better, and I like to iron, too! I don't like to mop or scrub, but I've always enjoyed ironing!

Suzanne :)

Re: Julie...

Suzanne D. on 12/15/04 at 22:12 (165712)

I am so glad you are better! Many good wishes go your way...

Julie on 12/16/04 at 01:43 (165719)

Actually I'm not better, Suzanne - but thanks very much!

Suzanne D. on 12/16/04 at 10:41 (165729)

Oh, I'm sorry, Julie. I have been so rushed that I have tried to keep up on reading posts, but I must be confused. I thought you had been noticing improvement and were able to do some things like iron and back your car out, etc. But I must be mixing things up with Dorothy. My apologies. I do wish you improvement and hope that it comes soon.

Julie on 12/16/04 at 11:00 (165731)

No, you got it right, Suzanne: that was me. But since I said that there has been a new development that I don't want to write about now. When I made that post to Dorothy I was hoping she would still be around because we were in the middle of a 'conversation' and I felt like telling her. But it's passed, and now I'd rather not talk about it. (I'm not being deliberately mysterious, I just don't want to talk about it.) But thank you for your concern and your good wishes.

Happy holidays, if I don't 'speak' to you before then.