Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flu issues, etc.

Posted by Necee on 12/15/04 at 01:45 (165643)

My husband is finally well, thank goodness! So far I haven't gotten sick.

I did my best to clean everything he came in contact with, using bleach and Lysol spray.

Kathy G... I agree with you about the public restrooms, I often wonder how many germs I've come in contact with just by touching the faucet. I always wash my hands, and then use a paper towel to open the restroom door. Your idea of carrying the alcohol wipes is a good one. I have a small bottle of liquid hand sterilizer that I carry in my purse.

Regarding antibacterial soap, I read an article once that said in order for those types of soaps to be effective, they must remain on your hands much longer than the time it takes to wash your hands, therefore I never use them either.

This might sound parinoid, but if I'm in the store walking down an isle, and someone coming towards me at the other end is coughing or sneezing, I'll turn my cart around quickly and go the opposite direction. And another thing, just think of all the germs that are on the handles of those grocery carts. It just really gets me when I see an infant (teething), using those filthy cart handles. It amazes me that Moms don't provide other means, while they are shopping. I saw a mom give a pacifier back to her baby when it fell on the floor in a shopping mall, I was shocked that she didn't bother to clean it off.

Ok, I'm finished rambling.

Necee

Re: Flu issues, etc.

Richard,C.Ped on 12/15/04 at 07:53 (165653)

I am not obsessive compulsive or anything like that, but I keep a bottle of alcohol based hand sanitizer with me.

Dorothy on 12/15/04 at 09:53 (165659)

Necee -

YOu wrote: 'This might sound parinoid, but if I'm in the store walking down an isle, and someone coming towards me at the other end is coughing or sneezing, I'll turn my cart around quickly and go the opposite direction. And another thing, just think of all the germs that are on the handles of those grocery carts. It just really gets me when I see an infant (teething), using those filthy cart handles. It amazes me that Moms don't provide other means, while they are shopping. I saw a mom give a pacifier back to her baby when it fell on the floor in a shopping mall, I was shocked that she didn't bother to clean it off.'

I do the same thing - and I feel the same way! Also - gas pumps (when you pump your gasoline?) Yuk. And yes, about pacifiers - I've seen parents pick them up from everywhere and right back to the baby. I saw one mother pick it up, put it in her own mouth (for cleaning, I guess) and then right back to the baby. Is that better than from the floor/sidewalk directly back to the baby?

About turning your cart around - when there is a lot of coughing and sneezing going on, as there is now, it can take a lot of extra time to get around a store while dodging the 'expellers'! We can call it 'exercise'.

Glad to hear your husband is better and that you avoided catching the illness yourself. Happy holidays here on out!

Kathy G on 12/15/04 at 10:44 (165665)

I think that children are exposed to a nice heathy amount of germs and bacteria and that helps them to build up a natural immunity; however, I would never let my child put their mouths on a shopping cart!

You know what kills me? When you're shopping and the clerk at the register has a cold. Now, we all know that money isn't very sanitary but money that's just been touched by a person who's wiped her nose on her hand a couple of minutes before? Gross! That happened to me in the supermarket the other day and I almost said, 'No, you keep the change.' I couldn't do it because it was a sizeable amount but the thought occured to me!

I've never been germaphobic but I swear that many young people don't know basic hygiene. Okay, that sounded just like what an old lady would say! I'm not an old lady so maybe I'm am phobic about germs! :)

Necee on 12/15/04 at 11:45 (165670)

Thanks yall, I was begining to think I was paranoid.
I'm heading out to hopefully get my Christmas shopping finished today, you can bet that I'll be cautious of those who are spittin' and spewin' (as my Dad use to say)

Merry Christmas to you all....

Necee