Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

gone graph of Big Toe

Posted by deannaf on 12/15/04 at 18:45 (165686)

has any one had the fusion with bone graph following cheilectomy? What was your recovery time, lengh of non weight, crutches, etc. Am nearing the 5 wk turn, wondering if an additional cast will be needed.

Re: gone graph of Big Toe

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/15/04 at 21:56 (165707)

deannaf:
Fusion of the big toe joint would potentially be performed if a cheilectomy failed. Fusions take 10 to 14 weeks to heal with about 8 weeks of non-weight bearing with crutches on the average. Keep in mind that protocols do vary. Generally, use of an implant that re-creates motion in the big toe joint may be preferable to fusion since that involves immediate ambulation and a 3 to 4 week recovery time. One manufacturers web site that shows some of the modern implants is http://www.futurabiomedical.com
Ed

Re: gone graph of Big Toe

pat m on 12/23/04 at 19:55 (166060)

had fusion w/titanium plate, six facial screws........was back to step aerobics 2 mos. after surgery. I didn't use my crutches at all.... am extremely happy with surgery. I had this done April 2002.