Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Plantar Fascitis and now TTS!!! My Story...

Posted by catwomanlv on 12/16/04 at 20:19 (165783)

Hi there, I am so happy to have found this board! I just had surgery to relase the plantar fascia a month ago. The surgery went ok, my MD seems to be an a$$ tho, not my fave. I am a nurse and have had PF for years, I had it first in my Right foot and had successful surgery 5 years ago. Then about a year and a half ago my left foot started up... so after all the steroids, PT.. blah blah... I had surgery. About last week I started to have REALLY bad pain in the inside of my heel, with 2 spots of bluging areas that are extremly painful! I finally got in to see my Dr today and he said that I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, I had never heard of it... he said he's never seen anyone have it right after having PF, and noramlly its not this bad... wonderful, great news... i almost started crying right there. I am devistated!! I am 27 years old, and I feel like I'm falling apart!!! I start PT on Monday 3 X a week, it is SO painful already tho... I am thinking about doing the PT and seeing how that goes and then if its not any better, I will seek out a second opinion for other treatment options. I really do NOT want to have surgery again, I do not want to go thru the pain of surgery and crutches/wheelchair and plus being newly married we want to start a family soon. Ugh. Please help, any suggestions, words of advice is appreciated! Also, how do I go about getting a 2nd opinion when I have an HMO? Thanks so much,
Alli

Re: First Plantar Fascitis and now TTS!!! My Story...

Darlene on 12/16/04 at 20:38 (165784)

Alli:

Do you have any numbness, altered sensations or pins and needles along the plantar aspect of your foot? Heel, arch ball, toes? Has the doctor suggested nerve conduction testing? The doc will usually tap on the inside of your ankle behind and/or below the inside ankle bone to see if it send tingles down to your big toe. That's called a Tinel's sign.

You've been through a lot and it's probably hard to figure out what to do first. Try to take it one step at a time. The first step is to see if you do in fact have TTS.

See if your symptoms match up with others on the board.

Darlene

catwomanlv on 12/17/04 at 00:38 (165787)

I don't feel any numbness in my foot, its mostly just pain. But there are 2 areas that are really swollen in the inside of my foot by the arch, he said its just inflamation. I go back to my MD in a month after a month of PT 3 X a week and I will suggest that I get that, this board seems very helpful, and i hope that he diagnosed it wrong and its something else and easy to fix! ugh. I'm so bummed about this!

Jeff S on 12/17/04 at 16:40 (165815)

Hi cat woman seems like alot of us nurses have bad feet! Anyways as to a second opinion with an hmo........ I too am a nurse and when I've gone to my doc I have seen 2 md's and didn't pay anything it was a 'professional courtesy'. What state are you in?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/04 at 17:39 (165816)

catwomanlv:

You have mentioned PF but really did not discuss having any of the conventional treatments for the problem. Please take the time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book so you understand what this involves and what the treatments area.

If your doc is telling you that you have TTS, then he should order a Nerve Conduction Velocity test to see if that is actually the case.

Sometimes, you just have to break free from your HMO to get a second opinion so you can arm yourself with the correct information needed to make your HMO do the right things.
Ed

catwomanlv on 12/17/04 at 21:11 (165820)

I work as a nurse in Las Vegas. I have PF and have had every treatment possible with both feet and now have had surgery in both feet. ugh. I will definantly get that nerve conduction test to make sure that I do have TTS, and I am going to get a 2nd opinion.

denise g on 12/19/04 at 06:21 (165847)

Ali,
I had plantar fascitis before and did well with physical therapy. Then I had tss surgery 10-1 and now have plantar fascitis again. I too would hate to have another surgery and am in physical therapy 3x week again (I['ve been doing this all year for various foot problems, achilles tendonosis...) I spend so much time there I think of it as a second job. I am tending to think that one thing off kilter affects the rest of the foot and wonder if I'll ever have all the problems solved at once.
Denise

Re: Hi Denise

Darlene on 12/19/04 at 21:47 (165867)

How do you tell the difference between TTS pain and PF pain?

I think my heel pain is TTS pain.

Darlene

denise g on 12/20/04 at 07:46 (165870)

Darlene,
My tss pain was on the inner side of my ankle, whereas my pf pain was on the bottom of my foot.
Denise

Darlene on 12/20/04 at 12:32 (165882)

Thanks Denise.

I asked because my TTS pain seems to be in my heel (plus numbness in my great toe) and I'm wondering how one differentiates between the two.

How is your scar tissue treatment coming along?

Darlene

wendyn on 12/20/04 at 13:39 (165886)

Darlene, one of the distinctions is that PF tends to be worse in the morning or after rest. TTS seem to improve with rest.

wendyn on 12/20/04 at 13:41 (165887)

catwomanlv, the best advise I can give you is to absolutely not let anyone near your feet with a knife for a second surgery unless you know exactly what they're going in to fix.

A second option, and the nerve conduction test Dr Ed suggested are musts.

Darlene on 12/20/04 at 14:02 (165890)

Thanks Wendyn.

I have no first step pain.

Darlene

catwomanlv on 12/20/04 at 22:47 (165900)

I am definatly not letting anyone else go near my foot!! I went for PT today, she said she thinks it may not be TTS (yea!!) because I have no numbness or tingling, she told me to go see my primary md and also get a referral to an ortho dr. She thinks the swelling on the side of my foot and all the pain that is there could be either soft tissue swelling or possibly an infection (which is what i thought it was in the first place). So we'll see what it is up..I'll let you know!!

denise g on 12/21/04 at 08:29 (165912)

I hope you do not have tss. I was diagnosed as tss and did not have numbness or tingling, just pain. I had tss surgery and am dong well about 3 months post op.

Kim on 12/22/04 at 07:32 (165964)

denise going to my reg dr. today we are going to ask to be referred to a new dr. I want a second opinion now. after the last appt with the pod. now i am 4 months post op & getting nowhere with this md. except a huge HEADACHE! he wont even order PT so i know my reg dr will. will keep you updated.

denise g on 12/22/04 at 15:59 (165999)

Kim,I hope you find p.t. helpful, I know I have, I am 3 months post op and stil going, I couldn't go this week as I have the flu but notice the difference from not going. I am trying to do most of the exercizes at home. I am wondering how long I will have to go?

Cathy G. on 1/27/05 at 18:05 (168059)

Dr Davis, I just got diagnosed with tts by my pod. after having long history of pf (eswt in the fall). He used a 2 pronged devise that he placed to different areas of my foot that shocked me a little. He said it showed nerve entrapment to both inner ankles. He put me on neurontin. I am a nurse, and had been working 3 12hr shifts, but am switching now to 4 8 hr shifts to decrease daily time on feet. I am also looking for a desk job, but dont know what I can do, and who would want to hire someone with foot probs.
Are there any other modalities I should try?

Dr.Wishnie on 1/28/05 at 09:28 (168086)

Dear Cathy:

I am a podiatrist in NJ. We are one of the few offices that provide cryotherapy for tarsal tunnel syndrome. This works well and you can see the information on my website at http://www.stopfootpainfast.com . What treatments have you tried? Usually we try injection, orthotics and physical therapy first. If this does not help, I would look into the cryotherapy before any surgery since the success rate is low with the surgery. Let me know if you need any other information.

Sincerely,

Dr. Wishnie