Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fasciotomy

Posted by KATHY H. on 12/17/04 at 10:23 (165800)

i had a right foot fasciotomy on nov 18 just the last couple days am i having any pain ontop of my foot. is this normal? actually my whole body is hurting, i think arthritis has set in since i've been off work because i don't do alot. so i don't knwo if it's the cold weather setting in or if i've done something to my foot. i'm having a left foot fasciotomy on dec 30

Re: fasciotomy

Pat on 12/18/04 at 08:38 (165830)

I had mine done on 11/3 and alot of the pain on the top of your foot might be due to swelling. My foot is still a little swollen but in the last few days it's been feeling better. I still ice my foot (by the ankle) every night before I go to bed and then I use lotion to massage my foot and the instep and the swelling part. I really think this has helped. I've only been doing that the last two weeks because before that I didn't even want to touch my foot. However, I think I would put off the left foot a little long. I know with me (and it's been six weeks) I'm in a shoe and walking but I can still feel the bottom of my foot swollen a little and it feels weird and I think if you had the left foot done when you still have pain in the right it might add to more problems. Just my opinion.

Dr. Z on 12/18/04 at 20:36 (165843)

Hi
This could be from the cutting of the plantar fascia. It will change your gait and function of your foot and therefore cause weight transfer to the top, side, front of your foot. Talk to your doctor about this.. He may want to tape, cast your foot

KATHY H. on 12/20/04 at 14:20 (165891)

THANKS FOR THE REPLY,YOUR ANSWER SOUNDS LOGICAL.I PROBABLY WONT GET A CHANCE TO TALK TO MY DOCTOR UNTIL I HAVE MY 2ND SURGERY ON MY LEFT FOOT.I'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO WEAR THE CAM WALKERS ON BOTH FEET.I HAVE TO GET THE 2ND ONE DONE NOW TO GET IT ON THIS YEARS DEDUCTIBLE,MY INSURANCE IS LOUSY. AND I HAVE TO GET BACK TO WORK BY MID MARCH,I'M SO AFRAID OF LOSING MY JOB.DISABILITY THRU WORK WILL GRANT ME TIME OFF UNTIL MARCH 1,BUT IT'S UP TO CORPORATE WHEATHER THEY WANT TO GRANT AN EXTENTION OR NOT,IF NOT I LOSE MY JOB. MAYBE THE DOCTOR WILL TAPE MY FOOT.I KNOW HE WAS WORRIED IN THE BEGINNING THAT I MAY HAVE TO.IF I DIDN'T TAKE IT EASY. OH MAN!

KATHY H. on 12/20/04 at 14:23 (165892)

PAT THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I HAVE TO GET THE 2ND SURGERY IN ON THIS YEARS DEDUCTIBLE .I HAVE LOUSY INSURANCE. I'M AFRAID OF BEING OFF WORK TOO LONG AND LOSING MY JOB. I WANNA TRY AND GET BETTER FASTER. I DON'T HAVE ANY SWELLING OF RIGHT FOOT THAT I CAN TELL. SHOULD I DO ICE OR HEAT? FOR THE PAIN.

Pat on 12/20/04 at 20:51 (165897)

You're lucky that you do have disability - it may not be as long as you would like but you'll have two months to really rest, ice and relax and try to get back to normal. I am now almost 7 weeks post op and just doing stuff like walking around Walmart kills me. I do ice my foot every night and massage it with Vaseline Intensive care. It just seems like it helped the scar also since the skin isn't stretched so tight. And it just makes my foot feel better. I also take Vicodan at night so I can sleep at least 8-9 hours and that does help. You know you may want to think about renting a wheelchair for a month following the surgery to get around your house. I know it sounds weird but I know when I started walking my foot hurts from the weight and you'll basically have one old surgery foot that isn't fully stabilized and one knew one. It might really help take the pressure off for a few weeks and let you start healing faster.