Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Now what?

Posted by Norm on 12/23/04 at 03:49 (166026)

Had tts surgery 10/6/04 & have not got any better, actually I am worse off now. Saw doc the other day who had no answeres so he is pushing me off on a pain clinic to deal with the constant pain. This is the same doc who kept telling me 2-3 weeks is all you will need after surgery. I feel like he has let me down!

Re: Now what?

denise g on 12/23/04 at 10:11 (166035)

Norm,
I must sound like a broken record, but have you tried physical therapy, it has helped me, I had tss surgery 10-1-04 and am doing pretty ok although not 100 percent as I would like. The physical therapy has helped break up my scar tissue which was causing a lot of pain, i am still going.
Good Luck To YOu,
Denise

Norm on 12/23/04 at 11:10 (166039)

I did the pt for 3 weeks with no change at all.

Ann L on 12/23/04 at 13:11 (166042)

Norm,

3 weeks of pt is not very long. I did pt for 4 months, until I refractured stress fractures I had previously. It does make a difference, but it definitely takes more than 3 weeks to see a difference. If you are like me, my foot muscles were weak after dealing with TTS for so long and it takes a while to rebuild them. I learned how to walk without a limp again - had to totally retrain my gait.

Ann L

Re: Denise what type of therapy and exercise have helped?

Daniel Killings on 12/23/04 at 16:38 (166048)

Just wondering what type of therapy and exercises helped?

Re: Denise what type of therapy and exercise have helped?

denise g on 12/23/04 at 18:21 (166053)

I am not sure exactly which exercize or modality helped as they were done all in the same day 3xweek for the past 7 weeks, and I am still continuing. They use ultrasound and electric stimulation as well as a hand held laser treatment, which my therapist only recently started using and claims she is very happy with although my surgeon is not impressed with the laser. I ride a stationary bike minutes, use 2 different wobble
boards as well as wall stretches. My biggest problem was scar tissue which became as painful as the tss pain. The therapist would painfully massage around the scar to break up the scar tissue and I do this at home also.
Although I am not 100 percent , I can go shopping for extended periods (which I couldn't even go to the supermarket before surgery). In addition i am back at work as a field officer for probation, vising people in their homes. I do no more than a 3 hr. stretch in a day and then do desk work, but I'm getting there.
Sorry this is so long, I hope I can contribute something to help someone.
Denise