Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Drat AOL and Norton!

Posted by Kathy G on 12/23/04 at 09:19 (166031)

I have always used Norton Antivirus and, in the last few years, Norton Internet Security. I've never had any problems with it. I just installed the 2005 edition because I like to buy it, on disk, every other year. This year, my computer started to do all sorts of crazy things when I put it in. To make a long story short, I even did a non-destructive disk recovery and then called AOL, only to find out that Norton doesn't work with AOL Security Edition which is what I'm running. They have some sort of a deal with McAffee and it's imbedded in the software.

What a pain. I've uninstalled Norton because I refuse to speak to someone else I can't understand, language wise, and I'm going with the AOL SE. Wouldn't you think it would say on the Norton's site or AOL site that the two were incompatible?

You're right, John. When I called Microsoft about a problem I was fixing on my sister's computer, I spoke to a nice fellow who he had an accent but spoke excellent English. We got to talking and I found out he was in India.

Now my problem is that I can't do any Windows updates but at least I'm running a firewall and virus software. I still don't trust AOL's version as much as I trusted Norton. Since I'm a control freak, I like to control what my computer is doing.

I have an email in to Microsoft to see if they can figure out why I can't download their updates.

Computers are wonderful except when they don't work!

Re: Drat AOL and Norton!

Richard, C.Ped on 12/23/04 at 09:31 (166033)

Just like our feet are fine until they hurt.

Re: Drat AOL and Norton!

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/23/04 at 17:52 (166050)

There are a couple of very good online virus scanners that are free. One of them, made by Panda has caught viruses on my computer that Norton Antivirus did not catch. Of course, the scanning sites want you to upgrade and get the full time version but the free scans are unlimited. Panda 'Active Scan' which is Panda's online scanner is kept up to date with the latest virus info. and seems to be very effective and is a good 'supplement' to antivirus softwear that one places on their computer.