Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

when to stop cortizone injections

Posted by sharon j on 12/24/04 at 00:42 (166068)

my doctor said we could do as many as twelve injections of cortizone (one a week). is that the reccomended amount? i had seven shots, didn't feel that much better and then got nervous about the shots themselves and the side effects. when do you say enough is enough? thanks, sharon

Re: when to stop cortisone injections

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/24/04 at 08:51 (166076)

Sharon, I hope that you're kidding. It is pretty well established that no more than 3 cortisone shots should be given in one area over a one year time span. Multiple shots of cortisone can weaken and atrophy tissue and cause more harm than good. Please make sure that your doctor is using cortisone and not simply using an anesthetic or sclerosing agent. If he/she is really using cortisone and has given you 7 cortisone injections over 7 weeks, I would RUN out of that office and never go back. That much cortisone over a short period is not the standard of care.

Dr Ben Pearl on 12/25/04 at 09:47 (166107)

ditto!

sharon j on 12/26/04 at 10:11 (166150)

thank you for your quick responce. i will call the office first thing monday and find out exactly what he is giving me, but i'm quite sure he said cortizone shots. he has definately used the term steroids and i can swear he has said corizone before. is there any chance he could have been giving me such small doses that it would be different?

sharon j on 12/27/04 at 09:41 (166183)

i called first thing this morning and the woman who answers the phone said there was a small amount of cortisone in the shot but it was mostly an anti-inflamatory. what do i do? should i get a second opinion???

BLT on 12/27/04 at 11:21 (166194)

What area was he injecting? I would never go back to that guy ever. Yan rupture some soft tissue from cortisone injections i.e. pf, achilles, post tib tendon

Darlene on 12/27/04 at 12:16 (166201)

Cortisone IS an anti-inflammatory.

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/27/04 at 14:56 (166211)

Sharon,

Cortisone, even in small amounts should not be continuously used. Cortisone is a very potent anti-inflammatory and as I previously stated, can weaken or atrophy tissue. My suggestion would be to obtain your records from your doctor (the office may charge you a fee per page for copying your records) and bring your records to a new doctor for his/her review. If the doctor or office questions why you want your records you have 2 options. First, you don't owe them any explanation to obtain your records. The most diplomatic approach would be to state that you have some concerns about your past treatment and therefore would like a second opinion. The office should not give you a hard time, if they do,let me know and I'll give some advice.

BLT on 12/27/04 at 15:58 (166219)

Good advice Dr Wander

Re: Dr. Wander

Darlene on 12/27/04 at 18:38 (166227)

Is the same try for obtaining an Operative Report?

Thx.

Darlene

Dr. Z on 12/27/04 at 19:25 (166228)

The operative report is part of your medical record. You can go directly to the place where the surgery was performed and obtain the operative report if you feel more comfortable.

Darlene on 12/27/04 at 20:12 (166231)

In my case my surgery was performed in a pod's office. It is not a place I would like to go back to. Would it be reasonable to ask that they fax it to me?

Thx.

Dr. Z on 12/27/04 at 21:20 (166232)

All you have to do is send a written request to the doctors office and call them to make sure they have the request. Ask them to mail them to you . Depending upon the state law they usually have 30 days to honor your request. It should be no big deal.

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/28/04 at 07:20 (166240)

Darlene,

Remember, these are YOUR medical records. Although the original records and x-rays are part of your doctor's permanent records, you have every right to obtain copies of ALL your records. The operative report is part of your medical record, as is every encounter you've had in the office/hospital/surgery center. I would highly recommend that you obtain your entire medical record, not just the operative report. Although obtaining your records may make you feel uncomfortable, I'm sure the doctor will get over it and you will have the ability to relieve your present discomfort. Do not be afraid or embarrassed to request your records. These records are extremely important for the next treating doctor, to allow him/her to have an accurate history of past treatments.

Darlene on 12/28/04 at 21:27 (166261)

Thank you. I sent a fax requesting my complete medical record.

Darlene

Dr. Z on 12/28/04 at 22:48 (166264)

Darlene,
Make a telphone call to the office to confirm that they received the faxed request, if time is a factor