Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good Dr.

Posted by Michael on 12/24/04 at 09:24 (166079)

Hi Does anyone out there know of a good Dr. you treats PF in southern CA.
My husband Michael is suffering so bad. He is on pain meds which do not help much. Seems most foot DR.s are worthless. He does see a neurologist for ankle clonus. He recently mentioned Botox in the foot. Has anyone ever tried this? It may be worth a shot. Any help would be appreciated.
To All have Happy Holidays!

Re: Good Dr.

LARA on 12/24/04 at 10:30 (166081)

I went through several foot doctors. Much of podiatry is the treatment of people with diabetes and ailments that come with aging - hammertoes, bunions etc. They are good doctors, but don't necessarily get alot of experience with problems of younger people. At least that was so for the doctors I visited - until I found one that advertised and concentrating in sports injuries. There certainly are podiatrists that know much more than diabetes, bunions and hammertoes. Even though I'm not an athlete, the cause of my problems was that I was getting active again (tennis, karate) and he recognized the problem (and new more treatments than many I've seen reported on this board) before I finished giving my history. Also, if you are in southern Calif., you might try to find out who is the doctor/orthopedist/podiatrist for the Lakers or Clippers. Basketball players (more than other sports) are really HARD on their feet - probably a combination of their size, plus running up and down on hardwood floors so much. Many have PF I believe. Just saw an article the other day about a big name BB player (Shaq? Kobe?) struggling with PF.

Dr. Z on 12/24/04 at 17:15 (166090)

What was the ankle clonus related to ?

Michael on 12/25/04 at 10:06 (166108)

Hi, The neuroligist doesn't give much of an explanation for the clonus. It just is. It is neurological, comes from brain or upper spine. It doesn't cause pain according to him. He sees many with it with no pain. So I don't know. It does cause my husband to have a scissors walk. He kind of drags his feet also. When he is feeling decent he can walk pretty good, but when in bad pain which is has been lately it seems a stuggle for him to walk. I guess the pain is so great he just doesn't feel like doing anything.
I know this is not much of an answer but it is all I can offer. I just wish he could find a good DR. that could help him. Have you heard of prolotherapy? There is a place in Los Angeles that offer it but of course it is expense and no guarantees.
Thank You Linda

john h on 12/25/04 at 11:49 (166112)

I know a couple of NBA players (Scotty Pippin and Corliss Williamson among others) and from my conversations with them you would be supprised how little they know about PF. Many NBA players wear orthotics when playing and some who do have it hide it from the coaches if possible as it would endanger their contracts. Typically they do not go to the team Doctor for surgery. They often search out the best in their field like Dr. Jobe or bone problems. Before ESWT was approved in the U.S. some went to Canada for treatment of PF. At one time or another all have foot problems but being in peak condition and young most easily get though these problems.

SCotty Pippins noney manager just abscounded with over 11 million dollars of his money. The court has ruled he must pay it back but SCotty says it looks doubtful he will ever see a penny and his legal bills keep piling up. Since he recently retired and his endorsements are gone he is trying to get into broadcasting with FOX and has been for an interview. He is from a small town near Little Rock and attended a very small local college. When he entered college he was about 6'1' and was not recruited by the big schools. He was 6'9' when he graduated and could shoot like a guard and played alongside Michael Jordon all those years in Chicago and has a handful of world championship rings. Also very intelligent except when it comes to picking money managerts..

john h on 12/25/04 at 11:52 (166113)

Never read or seen a post about botox for PF. Got to just keep searching until you find a Doctor you are comfortable with. There is no fast cure for this problem. If you are fortunate you may be cured in 6 months with proper treatment. 90% of people who develop PF are cured in the first year. What is the diagnosis? How long has he had it? Both or one foot? What is he doing for it now? Was he very active prior to problem?

Darlene on 12/25/04 at 13:40 (166117)

I too am interested in comments on Botox. I have an enlarged muscle in my TT and wonder if Botox could help to relax it.

Dr. Z on 12/25/04 at 14:30 (166121)

It sounds like a Foot/ Ankle orthosis could help. I would go to a brace maker and see what they think. Without examinating your husband and determining if prolotherapy, ESWT or any type of procedure is going to improve his over over walking health is tought to say. If your husband does have first step pain or limping when he first gets up in the morning or after sitting for a period of time, and discrete pain at the pf insertion and a postive ultrasound then ESWT could help him. IF he doesn't have these criteria then neither ESWT or prolotherapy are right for him.
I would want to really evaluate his gait and see if its his gait causing the problem or his pain causing his painful gait. Sorry if I sound like I am talking in circles.

RickB on 12/25/04 at 23:59 (166135)

Linda, I have responded to your husband a few times and also sent him an email. My guess is that he sees nothing credible in my suggestions. You may want to read my comments, they are quite different from most of the advice from others on this forum. You know your husband better than anyone else. Does his personality fit the description below? I feel people should at least give this a chance, there are no risks involved. It certainly would explain why medical doctors can't find anything physically wrong.

Michael, I have suggested many times on this forum that people read one of Dr. Sarno's books. They are easy to find on the web, his book 'Healing Back Pain' is the best to start with in my opinion. Why Back pain? Because it is chronic pain, just like PF.

Basically, the book discusses why most pain is psychosomatic. I new about this book for one year, but thought it was silly. After seeing Dr. Weil endorse it on 'Larry King Live', I ordered it. I had one of the worst backs around (20 years, got worse as time went on) along with arch pain for one year. My pain is gone, there was never anything physically wrong with me. I do, however, now realize how much suppressed anger I carry around.

The book is inexpensive, easy to read, interesting, and nothing but common sense. Dr. Sarno just paid attention to an obvious trend he saw in most of his patients.

By the way, I had the burning pain too. It was nothing more than tension in my muscles that constricted blood vessels. You may want to try alternately placing your feet in hot and cold water, ending with hot. This will dialate your blood vessels and you may likely get temporarily relief.

I have been in your shoes. I have also tried all the treatments and seen many doctors. Give this book a shot, it can change your life. I suggest you read it very slowly and really think about the author says.

As one last comment, I my guess is that you are a very dependable, conscience individual who tries to do things right. This somewhat describes the personality of people with psychosomatic chronic pain.

Here is a link, you may want to do some web searching on Dr. Sarno. I have yet to find any negative comments. Good luck!

Jeff S on 12/26/04 at 00:41 (166136)

Michael as far as a good doctor in southern Ca I would recommend Dr Ferkel out of SCOI southern california orthopedic institute. You can look them up online i think it's scoi.com They treat many athletes and are one of the best clinics in southern Ca.

Michael on 12/26/04 at 09:53 (166149)

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I hope all is well with all of you. Pain is a horrible thing to have and to watch someone with it is very stressful. We are hoping for the best. Thanks Linda

LARA on 12/26/04 at 11:01 (166156)

Thanks John. I think I'll quit giving the recommendation to find the baskteball doctors. Now that you mention it I vaguely remember something about hiding ailments from the team doctors cuz they don't want management to know. I still figured the doctors would know - but the playesr are young (well, most of them), and athletes, and the athelete's motto is 'play through pain' Something is always hurting.

That's very sad about Scotty Pippen. I like him. Didn't he play alongside Bird in Boston before Chicago?