Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Merry Christmas to All!

Posted by Suzanne D. on 12/24/04 at 23:07 (166096)

Merry Christmas to all of you, my friends. My family just returned late this afternoon, and as soon as I could, I checked the boards and tried to 'catch up' on everything that had been posted.

First, I would like to say to you, Julie, that I am sorry for this new diagnosis and for the distress I know it must be causing you. I know you are facing this with the same fortitude, strength. and positive attitude that you have met every other challenge, and that will stand you in good stead.

And, yet, I know that sometimes one can grow weary being brave and strong and positive. If you ever feel weary in that way, Julie, let us be strong for you for a little while. We will listen, and we will support you. I hope that it helps to know that many who read here truly care and want to be strong for you. I am praying for you and keeping you in my heart and thoughts. When you feel stressed, may it calm you to know that others are thinking of you at that very time. I certainly respect your privacy, but please know that as you have helped countless others here, we want to help you in any way we can.

Necee, I'm glad you had some snow - even just a little! I know you have always said you wished for some snow for Christmas. Is your house almost completed?

Carole, I hope you are enjoying yourself tonight at dinner with Frank! Did you have any snow in New Orleans?

Kathy G., is your family all together at this time? I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Kathy in KY, it's cold and slick here! Our Christmas Eve service tonight was cancelled due to the icy roads.

My family drove to Orlando and spent three days at Disney World earlier this week. It was so nice to have our married daughter and her husband along as well as our daughter home from her first semester of college. The five of us packed in our van and drove down part of the way Sunday after church and finished the trip Monday morning. I walked a great deal and am thankful to report that my feet did well. It was cool Monday (even cold that night), but Tuesday and Wednesday we enjoyed lovely weather.

Wendy, as we went into the park on a bus Monday, I ended up in a seat beside a sweet little 6-year old from Alberta. She and her parents chatted pleasantly with me, and I thought of you. They were surprised at the coolness of the weather that day but were quick to say that they were certainly used to much colder temperatures!

Dorothy, thank you for your earlier good wishes. Yes, we had a pleasant time away. My college daughter seemed to relax and enjoy herself, and that was very good. Her grades arrived by the time we got home, and she has all A's for the semester. I am proud of her and hope that she can have more confidence and less stress as the second semester begins next month. She has another appointment next week with the counselor here.

So many of you fill my mind and heart on this special day! May God bless each of you with good things.

Suzanne :)

Re: Merry Christmas to All!

Dorothy on 12/25/04 at 00:54 (166100)

Suzanne! So glad you're back - and that you had a good time while away.
I missed you! More later, but Merry Christmas to you and your family. (I can never sleep on Christmas Eve!)

Julie on 12/25/04 at 02:37 (166101)

Suzanne

Thank you so much for your kind, sensitive, beautiful words to me, I am truly grateful for them. Knowing that people are thinking about me really does help. This is surely the biggest crisis/challenge I've had to face, with the possibility of riskier surgery than my cancer surgery years ago. I am trying to meet it as you suggest, and managing so far. Not weary just yet, though fighting a nasty cold that no doubt happened because my resistance has been lowered through lack of sleep! I've lost my voice, though luckily that doesn't matter here!

Enough of that. It's Christmas morning here in England, so while you Americans are all still fast asleep (except possibly Dorothy if she is being night owl!) I want to be the very first to wish everyone at heelspurs a wonderful Christmas Day. I wish for you all fulfilment and joy in 2005. And I hope you all get snow today.
:)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/25/04 at 15:43 (166127)

Merry Christmas, Suzanne! I'm glad you and your family had nice time at Disney World, and that your feet cooperated! Sounds great.

Yes, believe it or not, we have snow and sleet in New ORleans! Few New Orleanians know how to drive in the snow, so many of our major roads and freeways have been shut down for safety. How emazing that we would have a white Christmas (at least, white in shady areas, and glassy slick on streets and sidewalks).

Maybe the Saints really WILL win the Superbowl this year! (giggle)

Merry Christmas to all - -

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 12/25/04 at 20:06 (166131)

Suzanne, you were lucky to be in Florida for most of this cold weather. Our area missed the snow storm. We only had about 1/2' ice coating on the trees & roads & the low temp. was 3 degrees. The ice covered trees were beautiful in the sunlight. Our Christmas was very simple this year. I've cooked the last few days & had Christmas dinner at our house for our close family. My teenager helped me so much, she prepared our candy & cookie trays for friends. Of course we all ate too much but plan to cut back next week. My feet are feeling the stress of working in the kitchen the last few days, I'm going to take it easy for awhile. Merry Christmas to all!

marie on 12/25/04 at 21:21 (166133)

Merry Christmas Suzanne!

It's been a very relaxing day. We just hung out together and watched movies. I love a lazy holiday!

Suzanne D. on 12/26/04 at 07:56 (166142)

Thank you, Dorothy!

Suzanne D. on 12/26/04 at 07:57 (166143)

Thank you, Julie. And know that you are in my thoughts every day. I hope your cold is better soon.

Suzanne D. on 12/26/04 at 07:58 (166144)

A white Christmas in New Orleans! I am sure that is exciting to the whole city.

Be careful, Carole, and have a wonderful holiday!

Suzanne D. on 12/26/04 at 08:02 (166145)

Staying at home with your family is the most wonderful of all, I think, Kathy! I am mostly a 'homebody' who is quite content to stay close to home, but my husband finds that he cannot rest or relax unless he actually gets away from the area. Being a minister, he is always 'on call' and never feels he is 'off work' unless we're gone. So, the trip was something he wanted. But I did enjoy it and was thankful that my feet cooperated. A trip like that a couple of years ago would have been out of the question for me.

Glad you escaped most of the ice! Here there was snow, then a couple of inches of ice, then some more snow. With the frigid temperatures, our roads are still completely covered with ice and snow. It is treacherous to get around. But I am thankful we did not lose electricity.

Take care!

Suzanne D. on 12/26/04 at 08:04 (166146)

Merry Christmas to you, too, Marie! Glad you had a good time with your family. Do you have one more week off from school? We are to go back January 3.

Take care,

john h on 12/26/04 at 10:56 (166153)

Being home with your family is great but being locked in with snow and ice for 5 straight days with my wife is well--not great. The first two days were all sugar and spice but it went down hill from there. I have vacumed twice, made the beds every day, brushed the cats. emptyied the gargage every day, cleaned out the garage and cabinets,. shoveled snow. listen to some terrible soap operas, and received many lectures. I pray for sun and a rapid snow melt. After 5 days of single digits it is supposed to be 70 next week end. Ice or no ice I am out of here in a few moments. Bah! Humbug from Little Rock

wendyn on 12/26/04 at 12:02 (166158)

Sorry to hear you're locked in with snow and ice John. When I first read your post, I read it too fast as: ...being locked in the car for 5 straight days.....

That would really be something wouldn't it!?You're a good husband John!

We've had beautiful weather up until Christmas day around supper time. Then it got very cold and we had quite a bit of snow. But, it's supposed to warm up and melt again in the next few days.

JudyS on 12/26/04 at 12:55 (166159)

but John.........it's Christmas time! :) :)

JudyS on 12/26/04 at 12:57 (166160)

Alas..........no snow here!

But we've managed to have a very lovely holiday with our sons and their ladies here and a champagne-laden X-mas Eve with in-laws.

marie on 12/26/04 at 20:48 (166169)

Same here. Am looking forward to doing some reading and a little art.

Kathy G on 12/27/04 at 10:37 (166188)

We got snow yesterday and last night but it was a southern NE storm that affected our part of New Hampshire very little. The people on the Cape got about a foot and it was heavy, wet snow. The Boston area was hard hit and many people got stranded at the airport. We have only about three or four inches of pretty, white fluffy snow that is lovely - and easy to move!

We had a lovely Christmas and yes, Suzanne, my whole family was home this year. We didn't get to watch deer after Christmas dinner this year. as we did last, since it's been warm and we've had no snow so the deer are able to fend for themselves.

Despite the fact that all I did was bake and cook some things to bring to my sister's house on Christmas Eve and my sister-in-law's on Christmas day, yesterday I was exhausted. I actually kept falling asleep during the early part of the Patriot's game, something I can assure you that has never happened! I woke up for the second half and felt fine and went to bed at my usual hour. Then I actually slept until 9:30 this morning! I feel fine so I guess I was just tired but that's so rare for me.

wendyn on 12/27/04 at 11:48 (166200)

Kathy, I'm sure it's the turkey that makes people tired. We ate at around 5:30 on Christmas day, and most of us were all home tucked into bed by 10:30. Either that, or it's age catching up with us!

Kathy G on 12/27/04 at 14:50 (166210)

Wendy, it can't possibly be age! :) Actually, I was thinking and I don't know why I didn't connect the fact that I had gone to bed at 3AM on Christmas Eve and gotten up at 8AM on Christmas Day with the fact that I was tired!

When we got back from my sister's house, my husband went to bed but my daughter, son, daughter-in-law and I sat up talking and totally lost track of time! No wonder I was tired! But it was such a wonderful Christmas, I don't mind at all!

wendyn on 12/27/04 at 19:56 (166229)

I'm glad you're having a good Christmas Kathy. Ours has gone fairly well too. Tomorrow, I'm having the Johnny Depp movie marathon day with my niece (she's 19).

We have more movies than we can possibly watch. We are going to sit around and eat snacks and watch tv. We have been looking forward to this for a long time (she's also in university and is enjoying relaxing for a few weeks).

Sounds like a day watching movies might be a good idea for anyone on the east coast.

Suzanne D. on 12/27/04 at 22:44 (166236)

Sounds like a case of 'cabin fever' to me, John! :) I hope you've been able to get out some by now.

We still have roads that are partially or even totally covered by snow/ice. Hopefully, tomorrow will be warmer so that some of this will melt.

As a teacher, it has crossed my mind that these are 'wasted' snow days since we're out for Christmas break! You know, as much as I love school, I still like to hear that announcement on the radio now and then that school is closed for the day.