Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bextra safe?

Posted by Rueben D. on 12/26/04 at 08:15 (166148)

I would like to know how long a duration it is safe to take bextra or any other NSAID? I suffer from tendinits and have had good luck with this medication but am apprehensive now that vioxx, aleve and others are now being scrutinzed by the FDA.

How long can i take this for chronic tendinits? 6 months , 1 year?

Can it destroy my liver or kidneys?

Thank you Rueben

Re: Bextra safe?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/27/04 at 13:57 (166207)

Whenever possible it is better to treat an injured body part directly rather than take a pain killer or anti-inflammatory orally. There is a lot of confusion caused by recent news reports but Bextra is an anti-inflammatory of the class of drugs known as COX-2 inhibitors. That class of drugs is designed to decrease inflammation without hurting ones stomach or acting as a blood thinner like aspirin or the old anti-inflammatories. Therein lies the problem with long term usage in which when the COX-2 inhibitors are compared to older anti-inflammatories which also act as blood thinners, patients on the older anti-inflammatories seem to have less cardiovascular problems. The drugs are unlikely to hurt your kidney or liver. The classical anti-inflammatories which Alleve is one, can be hard on your stomach especially when taken for an extended period of time.

If you have a persisting tendinitis, seek other options such a physical therapy when possible.