Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS/Lipoma Surgery

Posted by TressaS on 12/28/04 at 20:02 (166257)

Having surgery next Wednesday to remove a lipoma from the bottom/inside of my right foot. it has been bothering me since last april. foot/ankle pain, tingling, numbness. i can no longer go barefoot and i have to even sleep with a heavy sock because the foot feels cold - like a burning cold sensation. a lot of discomfort/pain from just below the ankle to just the bottom inside of the foot. the numbness is in the heel and the big toe. the nerve conduction/emg test results said possibility of TTS with already some muscle atrophy. the doctor thinks the lipoma is pressing on a nerve but is not ruling out true TTS. he says he won't know until he gets in there. he has told me one week out of work, two weeks on crutches - does that sound reasonable? also, the hospital called and mentioned a 'block' anesthesia - could someone explain what that is? i have requested nothing stronger than tylenol with codeine - hope that is sufficient. Tressa

Re: TTS/Lipoma Surgery

denise g on 12/28/04 at 20:26 (166260)

Tressa,
With tss surgery I had to keep my foot elevated above my head for 2 weeks and couldn't walk on it. After two weeks I could walk on it in a cam walker, was in a sneaker in about 1 month.
i had block, which numbed my foot totally, also had a mild anesthesia through iv which put me to sleep. was a great way to go, i had no side effects.
DENISE

Marsha G on 12/29/04 at 07:30 (166268)

I think maybe the recovery he has told you is under estimated. It has been two months for me and I am still in a great deal of pain when I try to walk. My advice is expect the best but prepare for the worst.......physically and emotionally.

Good luck and God Bless you

TressaS on 1/02/05 at 08:23 (166397)

thank you, denise. would have answered you sooner but have been very ill. possibility i may have pneumonia and i'm afraid they are going to postpone the surgery now. i will find out tomorrow. another question i have for you is how to you keep up your energy level if you have to stay in bed for so long. you must be very weak when you are finally able to get up and get going. i am 56 years old and somewhat overweight. i don't bounce back the way i used to. are there exercises one can do while lying in bed?

TressaS on 1/02/05 at 08:25 (166398)

thank you, marsha. what do you advise for the pain - physical and emotional?

Julie on 1/02/05 at 09:29 (166400)

Hello Tressa

Your question was to Denise, but I'd like to respond to it. There is a great deal you can do to keep active in bed. An excellent series of exercises is the yoga Pawanmuktasana group which works on all the joints of the body. They help maintain strength and flexibility, and improve circulation and energy flow, which are important during periods of inactivity. You can do them all lying on your back in bed.

THE FINGERS, WRISTS, ELBOWS AND SHOULDERS

1. Open and close your hands, stretching the fingers wide and clenching them into fists. Do this slowly and with full awareness, breathing in as you stretch, breathing out as you clench. 9x

2. Bend your wrists backwards and forwards 9x.

3. Make gentle fists and circle your wrists 9x in each direction, first the right wrist, then the left, then both together.

4. Place your fingertips on your shoulders, elbows pointing up. Straighten your arms up as you breathe in, bend your elbows and return your fingertips to your shoulders, breathing out. 9x

5. Place your your fingertips on your shoulders. Bring your elbows forward (together if possible). Then lift them up, then take them back. When they reach the bed, sweep them around and forwards, bringing them close togeher again. you on the bed. (If you have any problems with your shoulders, don't take yor elbows all the way back: this shouldn't hurt, so just go gently.)

TOES AND ANKLES

If you click on the word yoga here, you will be taken to my description of the section of Pawannmuktasana that applies to the feet. I suggest you look at this, as it will give you general information that I needn't repeat here, and instructions for the toe and ankle exercise. These may not be possible for you immediately after surgery, but later on you will find them strengthening for your foot musculature. Consult your doctor before starting them, and when you do start them, go gently. They shouldn't hurt.

KNEES AND HIPS

1. Press your left foot into the bed. Bend your right knee and bring it towards your chest. Straighten the knee, bringing your foot towards the ceiling, then bend the knee. Breathe in as you straighten the knee, breathe out as you bend it. 5x, then work with the opposite leg. If you have no lower back problems, you can then work with both legs together.

2. For a hip rotation, press your left foot into the bed. Bend your right knee and bring it towards your chest. Holding your knee with your right hand, draw circles in the air with it, keeping the knee bent and the foot relaxed. Do this 5-9x in each direction, then work with the opposite leg.

Even if you have to omit the toe and ankle exercises, the sequence will have beneficial effects both physically and on the subtle energy levels.

If you are interested, you can key Pawanmuktasana into Google and you will find a number of informative articles that go deeper into these important practices and their effects. Here is a link to an excellent one: http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1997/1jan97/pawanmuk.shtml

I hope you find this post helpful.

Re: Shoulder exercise

Julie on 1/02/05 at 09:31 (166401)

Tressa, owing to sloppy editing (!) there were a couple of uncorrected errors in the paragraph about the shoulder exercise. I am repeating it here minus errors.

5. Place your your fingertips on your shoulders. Bring your elbows forward (together if possible). Then lift them up, then take them back. When they reach the bed, sweep them around and forwards, bringing them close together again. (If you have any problems with your shoulders, don't take yor elbows all the way back: this shouldn't hurt, so just go gently.)

Dorothy on 1/02/05 at 16:31 (166416)

Julie -

I always learn the best things from you! You have led me to some resources and 'teachers' that have become important to me - including your own teaching (there seems to be a circular statement here :-)

Thank you - once again.

GeorgieF. on 1/02/05 at 19:03 (166421)

The Block anthesesia just makes your leg and foot numb it is a injection given to you just before the surgery. I had surgery 12/23/04 and I am so glad I did.The first three days was the worst pain wise actually the third day was the worst. Now it is a dull pain simply because the stitches is still there and the swelling is still there.Follow the doctors aorder and stay of your foot as much as possible the more you keep the foot elavated the better off you will be..

Julie on 1/03/05 at 08:31 (166431)

That's very nice of you, Dorothy: thank you. You've lifted my spirits.