Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tsunami Relief Organizations

Posted by marie on 12/29/04 at 16:39 (166278)

If anyone finds this post to political by all means report me to ScottR. I know that many here are suffering and in great pain as i write but maybe you can set aside just a tiny something to help out. We're all tapped after Christmas but if everyone online just gave $1.00 we could raise billions. Think about it.

In an effort to bring relief to the families in terms of re-establishing family links, this web site is geared to assist all concerned persons, whether in the affected countries or elsewhere in the world, in obtaining information about their loved ones.If you have lost contact with relatives in a conflict or crisis, the International Committee of the Red Cross will do all it can to help you by means of its familylinks website.http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/home.nsf/home/webfamilylinks

Action Against Hunger
247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201
New York , NY 10018
212 - 967 - 7800

American Jewish World Service
45 West 36th Street , 10th Floor
New York , NY 10018
800 - 889 - 7146

ADRA International
12501 Old Columbus Pike
Silver Spring , MD 20904
800 - 424 - 2372

American Friends Service Committee
AFSC Crisis Fund
1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia , PA
215 - 241 - 7000

American Red Cross
International Response Fund
PO Box 37243
Washington , DC 20013
800 - HELP NOW

1 - 800 - 521 - CARE

Catholic Relief Services
PO Box 17090
Baltimore , MD 21203 - 7090
800 - 736 - 3467

Direct Relief International
27 South La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara , CA 93117
805 - 964 - 4767

Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres
PO Box 2247
New York , NY 10116 - 2247
888 - 392 - 0392

Intl. Committee of the Red Cross

International Medical Corps
11500 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 506
Los Angeles , CA 90064
800 - 481 - 4462

International Orthodox Christian Charities
PO Box 630225
Baltimore , MD 21263 - 0225
877 - 803 - 4622

Mercy Corps
PO Box 2669
Portland , OR 97208
800 - 852 - 2100

Operation USA
8320 Melrose Avenue, Ste. 200
Los Angles, CA 90069
800 - 678 - 7255

OXFAM - http://www.oxfamamerica.org

Save the Children
Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund
54 Wilton Road
Westport , CT 06880
800 - 728 - 3843

1 - 800 - 4UNICEF

best wishes marie

Re: Tsunami Relief Organizations

marie on 12/29/04 at 19:57 (166288)

Out of funds? Go to your local Red Cross they need blood donations.

Blood donors sought, with Westerners' Rh-, A, B and O groups most wanted

BANGKOK Dec 28 - Princess Maha Chakri Sirinthorn, executive vice president of the Thai Red Cross Society, has sent emails to several embassies seeking blood donations for tsunami victims in the southern provinces.

The Princess has also solicited the cooperation of the Thai hotel associations in urging foreigner guests to donate blood to foreign victims of last Sunday's tsunami disaster. Most of the injured were foreign tourists enjoying holidays in Thailand's beaches.

marie on 12/29/04 at 19:59 (166289)

Pick the one that you are comfortable with.
https://www.strategicprofitsinc.com/hosted/...cross/index.php -
Red Cross http://redcross.org - American Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org.uk - British Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org.au -
Australian Red Cross http://www.jrc.or.jp - Japan Red Cross
http://www.worldvision.org - Christian Charity and if you don't like to
donate online: American Red Cross 800-help-now :-)

Julie on 12/30/04 at 06:19 (166295)

And for those of you in the UK, don't forget the Disasters Emergency Committee which is co-ordinating efforts here. You can donate on line at http://www.dec.org.uk , or by phone at 0870 60 60 9000. The former can be difficult as they are so busy; the latter is quick and easy - I've just done it.

Julie on 12/30/04 at 06:38 (166296)

That should have been 0870 60 60 900. Not 9000.

Kathy G on 12/30/04 at 08:47 (166298)

Thank you, Marie, for the list of places accepting donations. My husband asked me last night if I would check out the best place to send money. Many people are sending blanket, etc. but the bottom line is that they need cold hard cash. The conditions over there are beyond comprehension. In the time since I woke up, they've upped the death toll by 4,000 people and they fear it will continue to mount. To have everything you own wiped out to sea and having absolutely nothing is so horrible. To have someone you love missing and not knowing if they, too, were swept away, goes beyond horrible.

Suzanne D. on 12/30/04 at 09:06 (166301)

You are so right, Kathy. I thought yesterday that the survivors may not indeed be 'the lucky ones' with everything gone and loved ones missing or known dead. The whole scenario is incomprehensible.

I am also glad for the list of places to send funds. Besides sending something personally, I want to see about giving my children at school a chance to help when we go back next week. It will, of course, have to be dealt with carefully with young children, but they will have heard about the tragedy, and to be able to help - even if it is only a little bit of change - would be a good lesson in caring/sharing for them.

marie on 12/30/04 at 09:26 (166302)

That's such a great idea Suzanne.

Maybe you can do something with Unicef or another childrens group. My understanding is that they expect over 100,000 orphans. Some of the orphanages need help. Here are a couple links.

Susan on 12/30/04 at 10:39 (166303)

Amazon.com is taking contributions for the Red Cross, and it is very easy to do. If you have an account with them already, you don't even need to enter your credit card number. 100% of your contribution will go to the Red Cross. For amounts under $250 they will not give your name to the Red Cross unless you want them to.

marie on 12/30/04 at 10:50 (166304)

Skip home page and go directly to donation page for Tsunami aid.

Mercy Corps also has some valuable lesson plans and guides for teachers.

Julie on 12/30/04 at 11:54 (166305)

I thought the same, Suzanne and Kathy. To survive in such a horrendous situation, having lost everyone and everything, gives an entirely new slant to the words 'survive' and 'survivor', doesn't it?

Suzanne, I'm sure your children will bless you for giving them the chance to help. They will want to help, and only need a bit of direction to channel their energies into helping.

Dorothy on 12/30/04 at 14:44 (166308)

Marie, Suzanne, Julie, Kathy G. and others -

My family was grateful to find good resources online where we could send money donations early on. We gave to our local Red Cross also, designating part of our donation for tsunami relief and the other part for local Red Cross needs; we did this in addition to other donation resources. We also noted the Amazon.com opportunity and agree that it is a good and easy way instead of, or in addition to, other ways. Amazon.com collected donations during the recent U.S. election also and seemingly did a good job of it. They have the best infrastructure online. I came to heelspurs after we had given our donation, at least so far, but was glad to see Marie's list of places for people to donate.

Marie, I am glad for your link to sites that are focusing particularly on orphan help (I haven't looked at the links you provided yet) because that whole heartbreaking aspect of this entire hearbreaking situation is beyond imagining. Thank you for that resource.

Without getting political, I am uncertain about Somalia; you want your donations to get to the people who need it and to the people who will handle it the way it should be handled. To put it mildly, Somalia does not have a good record for such so I am reluctant there - sad to say. For that reason, we specified our tsunami donation to go to the countries hardest hit (Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India ... ) but it was difficult doing that kind of specifying. The thought of corrupt warlords exploiting a situation like this, as they have repeatedly done in the face of past suffering, was just not tolerable - consequently the specification. However, there is the matter of the civil war and tenuous situation between the Tamil 'Tigers' and the government.... and some countries refusing aid from Israel.....and one wonders: what will it take for human beings to come to their senses! If not the agony of people suffering as they are in this devastation, then when.....
It's just all so very sad. What does an orphan care for the politics and what does a mother who lost all her family care for the politics....
I hope this will bring nations and people together, maybe beyond this immediate need and on into the future.

marie on 12/30/04 at 19:22 (166319)

This blogspot has a great deal of information and contacts. Folks from around the world are posting and updating there. In fact they want volunteers to help with the blog.

vince on 12/30/04 at 20:06 (166320)

No money from me- not one cent. Most of these charities will prove to be rip offs. Keep the money at home.Nothing bad is without some good- There may be significantly fewer terorists in that part of the world.

john h on 12/30/04 at 22:52 (166327)

There are some enormous donations being made by individuals and corporations. Bill Gates and wife gave 3 million. I think it was Pfizer that gave $35 million, when I last looked on Amazon individuals had given around $4 million on the Amazon site in the last couple of days. There are hundreds of more corporations that have stepped up with big money. To many to list here. I suspect outside the governmment by the end of this there will easily be over a billion dollars by individuals and corporations donated. Last year the U.S. contributed more than 40% of all contributions for aid in the world. We currently have 8 C-130's, a fleet battlegroup of helicopters, two destroyers and an aircraft carrier with 5000 men and women on site. These ships can convert water and provide manpower and medical help. If anyone doubts the U.S. is not stepping up both privately and through the government then they are ill informed. It is very difficut to put all this aid into immediate action as just the logistics of moving things with no roads and no airfields make it very difficutlt. Local customs compound the situation such as fishermen who refuse to go to islands that can only be reached by boat. Many think this type aid can arrive over night, Cannot be done no matter what. We started off thinking 5000 people were killed. Each day it has grown and will continue to grow. We have some insurgents to deal with in some areas. Looting is going on and some customs prevent the immediate burial of bodies. To put this in perspective so far there have been reported over twice the number who have died from the Tsunnami than U.S. military killed in the 6 year Vietnam war. Then again I suspect there are millions who have died and are dying in Africa of Aids and tribal wars. Typically you look to donate to organizations that have between 25%-20% overhead. Organizations that have little to no overhead are mostly poorly informed do not have trained staff and your donations are not used as effectively as ones that are well trained and equipped. I would imagine there are already a host of scam artist at work. I spent a few weeks in the southern Thailand area on the beaches in 1969. What I have seen of this Tsunami sure changed my idea of what I perceived a Tsunami to look like. I did not know that the water first retreated almost a mile into the ocean before rolling back in. Some of the shots from space showing the water retreating then rolling back in were unbelievable. As these move at near 500mph in the open ocean they can cover a lot of ocean quick. If you live within 100 miles of an epicenter of an earthquake under water you are almost out of luck unless you can get to high ground in just minutes. Clark Air Base in the Phillipines was one of the most beautiful tropical bases in the world. It is now buried under many feet of volcanic ash from the big erruption of the volcano in the Phillipines some years ago. Lost forever. Weapons of mass destruction are dangerous but so is nature. Earth could be destroyed by one magic meteorite about 1 mile in circumference.

wendyn on 12/31/04 at 01:49 (166328)

John, our federal government is willing to match dollar for dollar every private donation made before January 11. A lot of motivation for those of us who don't have 35 million dollars....

vince on 12/31/04 at 07:37 (166329)

The USA is hated in that part of the world and we will continue to be hated no matter what we give. We could give our last cent, our last drop of food and water and the people in these areaS would continue to pray every day for our destruction. They spend their days convinicing their children that were are evil and should be killed. They will take our food and water shipments and then go to their mosques and pray that the planes that brought them relief items crash and burn into our homes and cities. The best thing would be to spend the $'s here on our homeless, on our hungry, on our children who's education is poor, on improving healthcare in this country for American citiizens, on improving our security here at home. I have no sympathy for those who wish me and my family dead. I have more sympathy for the animals that are starving there than I do for the people. Yes some Americans died, and some who do not wish destruction on this country- but most of them do and even G-D in his wrath is not perfect.

vince on 12/31/04 at 07:59 (166331)

Julie on 12/31/04 at 11:21 (166334)

Scott has asked us to ignore posts that are 'not nice', but after thinking about this all day I have decided to put on record that I find these posts of Vince's deeply offensive.

john h on 12/31/04 at 11:30 (166335)

Although this is probably the largest natural disaster in the history of man there have been disasters far exceeding the scope of this one such as the hollocust,Cambodia, Africa today and we still hear little about it, Stalin and Russia, WWII,The Civil War, etc. We always get though them one way or the other. You can walk though Europe and Japan today and never know they were once leveled to the ground. Although there will be more than enough relief aid in the long run (i think) it is most difficult to get the relief in the right places and not have it used for purposes it was intended. That goes with any disaster and particular in third world nations. If this had happened 75 years ago with no internet and TV the people would more than likely have to recover on their own. The internet is making a tremendous impact on getting the word out and the TV pictures touch peoples hearts. I get very angry when anyone tries to politisize such disasters. It is time to forget posturing and get on with saving lives. It appears to me nearly all of the more wealthy nations are participating in this disaster. Giving the money is one thing now the hard part is putting the money to work in the best way possible and to benefit those in need. In Thailand, Bankok is not that far away from the disaster area. Thailnad will probably dig out of this first. Indonesia was almost a disaster before the Tsunami. Many palces can only be reached by boat and the roads are poor. It is going to be a hard grind to bring this poor nation back to normalcy. On top of that they have their own insurgency movements going on. Having had to deal with dead bodies on a small scale in war and small disasters it is incomprehensable to me how they deal with the magnitude of dead and dying. I do not think one ever gets used to this.

Julie on 12/31/04 at 12:24 (166336)

Brilliant post, John. I absolutely agree with you on every score. The politicization of this tragedy is a truly sorry spectacle. And you are absolutely right about the role of the media, television and the internet. When we can SEE the pictures of the horrors, we open our hearts and our wallets. In the UK ?30 million pounds has been donated by the public in the last 24 hour, mostly by phone and on line.

It seems to me that the media have a huge role to play in the immediate and medium-term future, too, keeping the disaster on the front pages and at the head of the news broadcasts for as long as it takes the stricken regions to get back on their feet. Otherwise it will fade from public consciousness as have all previous disasters - perhaps not as quickly, but it will fade.

john h on 12/31/04 at 15:44 (166342)

Bsst tp just ignoe Julie otherwise they continue.

Re: Thanks John and a little prayer

marie on 1/01/05 at 16:19 (166367)

Thank you for a wonderful post.

Peace prayer of St. Francis

Lord make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness , joy;

Grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
for it is in giving that we recieve,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.