Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 mos post eswt and some probs.

Posted by Cathy G. on 12/31/04 at 16:45 (166343)

I am 2 mos status post eswt, and had to have abdominal surgery last week. I have had to take some motrin to keep the pain tolerable, and am wondering if this will damamge the eswt effect? Also, I am a nurse, and this has helped me to rest my feet, but I still have pain in the heel. I have the foot trainers, but not sure if they help. I tried to wear my custom-made orthotics, but they made the pain worse. I am wearing birkenstocks and sneakers with soft 'isoarch' inserts, as well as a night splint, and just praying, and resting more than before the abdominal surgery. It is hard to feel hopeful, and dont know what else to do.

Re: 2 mos post eswt and some probs.

EleanorH on 12/31/04 at 18:56 (166346)

Hi, Cathy. I too am 2 months past ESWT. I wonder if my situation is unusual. Although I had a few good days about a week ago, I find that my pain today is almost as bad as it was prior to the treatment. I have a desk job but I do have to walk between buildings a few times a day. I'm wearing New Balance shoes with orthodics. It seems the birkenstocks actually increase my pain. I sleep in a night splint. I've been off of anti-inflammatory drugs for almost 3 months. I'm just a little discouraged because I don't think I'm progressing and would like to hear how you're feeling. I do hope your recovery from the other surgery goes well. God Bless. Happy New Year. Thanks. Eleanor

Ben Lee on 1/01/05 at 16:34 (166368)

Try these orthotics. I'm 4 months post ESWT and these seem to be the only orthotics that work and I've tried everything. They are only 6 bucks or so so you might as well get them. They form the shape of your foot and they are soft. Believe me, I thought they wouldn't work just based on price but I just went out and bought an addition 5 pairs cuz they are so good. I would also recommend getting the Doctor Scholl's air pillo inserts to put under them because it gives you extra cusioning. You might have to buy a bigger size shoe to do all this but it's definitely worth it.

Re: oops, forgot the link

Ben Lee on 1/01/05 at 17:31 (166373)

http://www.profootcare.com/products/miracle.shtml

Dorothy on 1/02/05 at 03:11 (166391)

Cathy G -
I'm neither a doctor, nor a nurse and I have not had ESWT - so you might wonder why in the world am I posting a reply to your post....
I just now read your post and I am really feeling for you; it sounds like you are having a bad time of things right now and I am so sorry if that is the case. I hope that you will be feeling relief from pain very soon.

Was your main question about taking Motrin or was your question more to do with continuuing pain 2 months post ESWT?

I hope that posters who can offer you some advice will respond. Best wishes ~

Dr. Z on 1/02/05 at 11:35 (166406)

Dorothy,
The rest will do you well. When you feel better you can start with gentle non- weight bearing stretch in bed of in a chair. I am sure that you will have to stop the motrin for a short period of time when you undergo your additinoal surgery

Cathy G. on 1/02/05 at 13:01 (166411)

I thank you for your care and sharing of your experiences. I am going to try this orthotic.

Tina H on 1/02/05 at 15:02 (166414)

Cathy- 2 months is not really that long after ESWT. I was not very much improved at that point. It seems that I had significant improvement between 12-16 weeks. I'm now 5 months ESWT and for the most part I am almost pain-free, although I still baby my feet. The real test will be if I can start walking 5 miles a day again. I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I'm just happy to do the normal things like go to work, do things around the house etc. Any way just sharing this with you to let you know others have experienced just what you're describing. ESWT takes a long time to work for some of us, but it does seem to which is the most important point to remember. Best Wishes, hope you feel better soon. Tina H

Re: Attention Cathy G.

Dorothy on 1/02/05 at 15:31 (166415)

Cathy G. -

I think this post that Dr. Z addressed to 'Dorothy' might actually have been intended for you - or perhaps to one of the other posters on this thread that you began. It was not for me, even though it says 'Dorothy'...

Posted by Dr. Z on 1/02/05 at 11:35
Dorothy,
The rest will do you well. When you feel better you can start with gentle non- weight bearing stretch in bed of in a chair. I am sure that you will have to stop the motrin for a short period of time when you undergo your additinoal surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/08/05 at 20:29 (166726)

Cathy:
There really are not any studies I know of that detail the amount of time between having ESWT and using oral anti-inflammatories such as Motrin. Most of us, to the best of my knowledge, are using 6 weeks as the 'no anti-inflammatory' period after ESWT. I realize that Dr. Rompe, feels that it should be 12 weeks but I am basically going by a combination of my experience and that of colleagues.
Ed

Chris P. on 1/12/05 at 09:52 (166953)

Recent reports suggest and 8-12 week waiting period before taking an anti-inflammatory post-ESWT. Because of the neovascularization that takes place, I would be hesitant to start my patients at 6 weeks. I wait a minimum of 8 weeks.

Dr. Z on 1/12/05 at 13:31 (166971)

Hi
Would please show me your reference to NSAID and ESWT
Thanks