Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascitis, swollen heel bursae, tight achilles tendon, and swollen ankle. :-) Help!

Posted by Angie P. on 1/01/05 at 16:54 (166370)

Hi!
Monday, the 27th, I just got my foot out of a cast. I have plantar's fasciitis and a swollen bursae on my heel. Well, the foot was very stiff the first two days out of the cast, and I began to get that 'old' familiar hurt again. Now, the foot hurts constantly, especially, at night. Feels like the entire foot is broken when I put weight on it. My question(s) are:

Can plantar fascitis cause your achilles tendon to rupture? (I'm having tightness and pain there, thought this was just due to being in a cast for 8 wks., but when I squeeze my calf muscle, I feel pain at the base of my heel where it connects to the achilles tendon.

Also, this summer, I tried to run through this injury, therefore I didn't realize it, but now I do, I was running on the side of my foot. My ankle is very tender and swollen on the outer side even after being casted for 8 wks. What could be the problem, or does the inflammed plantar fascia cause minor things to become bigger?

My next question is should I go ahead and wait the 4 wks. to see my ortho.(which is when he wanted me to come back) or should I call him now and let him know that my symptoms are back with vengence? (I don't want to seem like a 'Whiner') I am so wanting to resolve the pain issue and get on with it, whether it be having the surgery or not.
Need some answers from Dr.s and/or people who have experienced these issues.
Thanks! Happy New Year to everyone!
Angie P.

Re: plantar fascitis, swollen heel bursae, tight achilles tendon, and swollen ankle. :-) Help!

Dr. Z on 1/01/05 at 17:45 (166374)

Hi

You need to call your doctor now. You have something going on maybe even a blood clot

Re: plantar fascitis, swollen heel bursae, tight achilles tendon, and swollen ankle. :-) Help!

Pat on 1/01/05 at 19:39 (166377)

I'm not a doctor but I really think you should call the doctor now. Who wants to wait 4 weeks in pain when they could be doing something about it or finding out what the problem is. Four weeks is a long time when you're hurting!

Angie P. on 1/01/05 at 22:46 (166385)

Thanks!
I'll call him on Monday. I guess this is not the norm.
I can not believe that a tendon could cause so much discomfort for so long. I've had 3 babies, 4 impacted wisdom teeth cut out, and a knee surgery, BUT nothing has been as challenging and painful as this foot. It's funny, when people ask 'Why are you limping and you tell them, and you get the funniest looks. Many have not heard about this 'plantar fascitis.' But those who have experienced it, really do sympathize with you.
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate you.
Angie P.

LisaS on 1/01/08 at 19:14 (241448)

HI,
I have had 3 bouts of Plantar Fascitiis over the years and I have NEVER suffered as long as I am now! Ii started in mid-May (it's now Jan!) Flat ballet shoes that's what the trigger was! Immediately started treatment, hte pain was so intense that I opted for the corticosteroid injections ASAP. Had a few (4)along with heavy duty doses of RX Motrin (800mg.) Nada! We on vacation could barely walk (not helping matters I had on what I felt were 'comfy sneakers'. No support in either shoes (flat, sling back pumps) My fault. During lastsummer, went to another Poditrist, received several mor (4) injections...nothing. Pain would subside as long as the topical spray allowed. NOW I have had another injection from the original Poditrist (he's been very good in the past) and he x-rayed and told me to try Physical Therapy. That was about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be helping (along with wearing sneakers with support (slingbacks were tossed out!) Until now. Seems last week I tripped in my home (always doing that! and at the time I didn't pay much attention to it, but NOW I have less pain in the original spot (heel thru arch) but I have a very sore swollen 'lump' just under my ankle bone? Anyone know what this is all about? Is this a result of a torn ligament (this ankle has had seveal sprains over the years and is considerably weaker then the left foot. I have PT tomorrow but I am worried that maybe some of my treatment has done more harm then good!

Thanks

LS

Re: numb bottom of foot at heel and swollen ankle. :-) Help!

Diane L on 10/01/09 at 00:18 (260978)

I am a 50 yr old female.For two days my heel has been numb and today my foot and ankle are swollen. I roller skated on Sat and my knee feels sore since skating. I also exercised on Monday. Could the numbness and swelling be due to trauma to my knee?