Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lidoderm

Posted by christyw on 1/02/05 at 11:47 (166407)

My doctor has perscribed Lidoderm patches for me to put on my feet. I was just wondering will that help? I haven't been using them very long. I can't really tell that it is doing anything. I had surgery on my left foot on August 17,2004 and on my right foot on september 8,2004. I am still having alot of pain with my feet when I stand or walk for a long period of time. I have some scar tissue in my right foot. Please give me your advice on this and what I could do to make it better. I haven't went back to work yet and my job consist of standing 10 1/2 hours a day.
Thanks!!

Re: lidoderm

Pat on 1/02/05 at 16:40 (166418)

Hi Christy,
I was wondering how you were doing - I read your past messages about having the surgery on both feet. I had EPF on 11/3 and am just going back to work tomorrow. I have a sit down job and even the thought of getting in the car and driving and dealing with the normal nonsense from work is enough to make me wish I was retired! LOL! I'm not familiar with lidoderm but it sounds like some type of pain patch. Where do you put them on your feet? I know it's been 4 months but this surgery does take time to heal. I had it in my left foot 10 years ago and it was almost a year before I didn't have the pain. I would think part of your problem is that you really can't get comfortable walking on either foot since the other one also hurts. What does the doctor say? Why does he think you're in so much pain? I'm o.k. walking around the house and stuff most of the time (I have pain but it's not terrible) but if I go out and do anything (like walk around the grocery store) I come home and I'm almost crying. My surgery foot is still swollen but not that bad. I go for my last followup on Tuesday and I'm going to ask him about physical therapy. Also, I'm curious what the scar tissue looks like - is it hard? Sorry you aren't doing better. I had hope that you would heal faster when I read your past posts.

Dr. Z on 1/02/05 at 21:11 (166425)

Pat,
How could Tuesday be your last visit with you still have alot of pain with just walking around a grocery stor. You need at least six months of follow up care to monitor and correct any problem that may or may not occur

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/05 at 11:36 (166436)

christy:
Lidoderm is a good product but tends to have relatively superficial penetration. consider placing the patches over the thinner skin on the inside of the heel and ankle just behind the inner ankle bone to try to maximize absorbtion as the skin is thinner there.
Ed

Pat on 1/03/05 at 16:44 (166456)

I went to get my last foot x-ray today but I think in the price they only include 2 months of follow up care etc. I'm going to talk to him but I think I'm going to make some appointments just to have him check it. I don't care if I have to pay the co-pay or not.

christyw on 1/05/05 at 20:34 (166584)

Ed,
Can you tell me what lidoderm is and how will it help my feet? My doctor told me it was a numbing medicine. He also put me on Nuluv(I think that is right) 400 mg-3 times daily. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/08/05 at 20:58 (166734)

christy:
Lidocaine is an anesthetic -- it numbs things so they don't hurt. I am not familiar with Nuluv.
Ed