Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

another orthotics question! Please help!

Posted by marre on 1/02/05 at 11:50 (166408)

OK, so I have broken in my orthotics and have started running a small amount (2 miles) in them. Since my last post, when I said my PF was better, it has gotten worse (pain is back when walking around, it was gone for several weeks) and I am now having knee tracking problems. Is it possible the orthotics can be causing this? I've heard that sometimes orthotics are prescribed when people don't really need them. Should I ditch them? I was doing a lot better without them, but the doctor made it seem like I needed them because of my biomechanics. Any advice please?

Re: another orthotics question! Please help!

Kathy M on 1/03/05 at 21:50 (166461)

Marre, I have been wearing orthotics that I purchased from 'the good feet store' for a month now. My feet still hurt and now I have developed knee pain. I, too, would be interested in the answer as to whether orthotics can cause knee pain. I just sent away for heel cups from Heal That Pain. I am ready to try anything. My life is revolving around my feet.... Any ideas out there??

Dr. Z on 1/03/05 at 22:36 (166462)

Kathy M

Yes any type of orthosis that is improper for you can cause knee pain. If you have a custom orthosis if can be adjusted. I am not sure about your pair from the good feet store. Will they return the device or fix the divice?

marre on 1/03/05 at 23:40 (166465)

My doctor told me that there can be some initial discomfort in the break-in period, since your body is adjusting to the new biomechanics. I'm hoping that is all there is.

Kathy--I tried those HTP cups. They were very helpful when the other ones (without as much arch support) didn't work. However, I finally decided to get customs. The HTPs don't address biomechanical problems. Maybe they will work for you, though.

Kathy M on 1/04/05 at 12:44 (166492)

Hi Dr. Z,
Thanks for your quick answer. I am scheduled to go back to 'the good feet store' in another month. They see you after you have been wearing the orthotics for 2 months. I did have custom made orthotics 10 years ago, but they not only hurt my knees, but made my back hurt also, and did not relieve the heel pain. The good feet store will let me try another orthotic, or they will reimburse half the money before 90 days. I actually bought 2 pair from them. $500 total for the 2 pair. Their TV commercial suckered me in, I'm afraid. One pair I am to wear for 5 days, and then for the next 2 days, I wear the other pair. The pair for 5 days is more aggressive. I did break them in gradually and did exactly as I was told. I have high arches. I am thinking of giving these HTP heel seats a try for a few days to see what happens. I sometimes have a burning sensation on the arch that is on the outside of my foot. Is that from the plantar fasciitis also??? I should probably make an appointment with a podiatrist, but since the original one didn't help me at all 10 years ago, I am reluctant. He was giving me shots every week for months. Thanks agin for your comments. Love the site, wish I would have found it sooner.

Kathy M