Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Recovery

Posted by GeorgieF. on 1/02/05 at 18:54 (166420)

I had Tarsal Tunnel release done on Dec.22,2004 the doctor found two entrapments that had to be released. My surgeon was wonderful and his post operative instructions was wonderful..Get a doctor that takes the time to explain to you exactly what to expect. I also am a Muscular Dystrophy patient which only adds to my health problems.
I am walking with a cane and going very slow, as recommended by my doctor being completely immobile isn't an option because of the Muscular Dystrophy I had to move around more quickly at a slow easy pace.
I am so glad I had the surgery, already the pain is much better and I can tell when I'm moving that the surgery has helped me.. Don't be afraid by scary recovery stories,if I can make it through you can to !! :>) !!

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Recovery

Geri on 1/03/05 at 11:02 (166435)

What a great inspirational story. I know there are many cruising this site trying to make sense of their painful feet. It is very good to have good results reported also. Each individual is so different as to how they respond to surgery or no surgery. It is so important to gather information on all outcomes. Keep up the good recovery and it is a true blessing to find a good surgeon that understands TT like you have. Keep in touch as we would love to follow your progress.

Camilla on 1/03/05 at 21:17 (166460)

This is wonderful to hear! I had a fabulous outcome as well and am so glad I had the procedure done.I think more of us who have the surgery need to come back and post that we have had good outcomes. There is too much negativity and people get so scared about making the decison to have the surgery. I know I was afraid going in because most of what I heard was bad news. I don't think people post too much after they have had a good outcome and it is over and done with. I guess their questions have been answered and they have been sitting for so long they get up and away from the keyboard. Congrats to you! Thank you for the positive feed back! We need more of it!

stephanie on 1/05/05 at 15:39 (166572)

I had Tarsal Tunnel release done Dec 27, 2004 in Washington,D.C. Doctor found 2 entrapments to released them, removed scar tissue from prior PF surgery 3 years ago and moved a muscle. Im getting around with a walker or crutches. I will have stitches in for 2 more weeks and then I can start bending my foot and 1 week after stitches are out, I can drive. It's too soon to see if it worked for me. Doc said about 6-8 weeks. My fingers are crossed. I had been to many different doctors, tried many meds, therapies and nothing worked for me after PF surgery. Email me if you have any questions, (email removed)- Stephanie

GeorgieF. on 1/05/05 at 20:54 (166585)

You are so right...there are so many horror stories out there that I just thought the postive side should be seen also. I go back at the end of the week for another check up with the surgeon.I'll keep posted..
Take care..

GeorgieF. on 1/05/05 at 20:57 (166586)

Always glad to share the postive side of a story..to much bad being pushed out there.. I am so glad I had the surgery even though the recovery is still not over with I know when I am healed it will be well worth it.. Glad to hear you had such great sucess as well. Keep up the good work.

GeorgieF. on 1/05/05 at 21:02 (166587)

Follow your doctors advice , be patient and take it easy. I have Muscular Dystrophy as well and the combination of this and the Tarsal Tunnel was really getting to me and walking was becoming a real challange for me. Now I can walk with the cane , crutches wasn't an option for me so we are using a 4 legged cane and doing okay with it.It is slow going but at least I'm going..
The biggest thing I have found and the doctor has stressed to me so much is keeping the foot elavated and keep as much weight off it as possible.
Just don't rush it and don't over due it.. Take the time to allow yourself to heal.. Keep us posted on how your doing! Keep smiling!! :>)

Re: sounds like we had TTS surgery at about the same time

Buck on 1/10/05 at 07:17 (166827)

though mine was on the 28th.

Back to work today (desk job). Planning to work half days for awhile to see how it goes.

GeorgieF. on 1/12/05 at 19:25 (166993)

Congrats sounds as if you are doing great!! Keep up the good work!

BobL. on 1/15/05 at 20:32 (167286)

I cannot believe this coincidence.I also underwent tarsal tunnel release Dec.22,2004 down here in Conroe Tex.

Re: Amazing same day of surgery!

GeorgieF. on 1/16/05 at 19:41 (167380)

I had mine Dec.22,2004 in Wilmington, Ohio the very day that major winter storm came into ohio. The day after surgery I was suppose to go into the Drs. office but all electric and heat was off for miles around us it went off in the middle of the night during the storm, ours luckily came back on late in the day on the 24th we had level 3 snow emergency.. My doctor made a special trip into his office Christmas eve morning just to see me and change the bandages for me, I had one stitch that had busted open but other than that, I have healed on schedule...I'm walking fairly good now and it is amazing how much better my feet and leg already feels..
How are you doing now??

BobL. on 1/17/05 at 17:13 (167419)

I just got back from the foot doc. He took off the bandage,told me it looked o.k. The 16 stitches were removed 2 weeks ago.He told me I could start wearing my shoe again.Looks like I can take the chair out of the bathtub and put the crutches away, at least till I have the right foot cut on. Other than that everything is fine.MY condition was caused by varicose vein laying on top of tibial nerve. Dr. Mantzoros did a great job. Somebody give me a cheesebur.... I mean a gyro.

Cathy G. on 1/27/05 at 17:55 (168058)

Stephanie, I live in DC. I just diagnosed with tts, after long history of pf. I am a nurse, and this is so worrisome. The doctor put me on neurontin, and says I may need surgery down the road. I am wondering who did your surgery?

Stephanie L on 2/07/05 at 17:35 (168711)

Just wondering how you are doing now, 7 weeks after your TTS surgery.? I too had the same surgery, Dec 27 in Washington, DC. I still have a little numbness around the incision site and the muscles are still store on bottom of foot. I go back for follow up next week. I do not notice any difference quite yet. The test for me will be walking at the mall. My max prior to surgery was 1.5 hours and then the pain set in. My doctor said maybe 10-16 weeks to know for sure if it worked for me or not. I started walking only a 10 minute walk after work today. I will keep that up for a few days and increase slowly. It felt fine other than my sock and shoe rubbing at the incision sit and making it itch.. Keep us posted on your progress.

Stephanie L on 2/20/05 at 12:18 (169499)

Im wondering how GeorgieF. is doing since TTS urgery? Has anyone heard from her. I have not seen any posts since January 16, 2005.