Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sorbathane vrs Power Step

Posted by TOOK on 1/03/05 at 09:55 (166432)

I have used Sorbathane ultra graphite arch supports with much success over the past couple of years, the biggest complaint I have is that they squeak like the dickens. I would like to change to the Power Step arch supports but I do not want to have the same problem. Has anyone had any squeaking issues with the Power Step arch supports?

Re: Sorbathane vrs Power Step

Dr. Z on 1/03/05 at 16:21 (166449)

Try placing foot powder under the inserts first

Dr. Z on 1/03/05 at 16:25 (166451)

Try placing foot powder under the inserts first

Tina H on 1/05/05 at 07:12 (166533)

I've had the squeaky problem with my orthotics and powersteps to a lesser extent. The problem has been solved with my orthotics by wrapping a thin layer of athetic tape around them. This makes them some what sticky with time but they don't squeak any more. I tried powder but that didn't work with the orthotics, seemed to work somewhat with the powersteps. Good luck.

Monte on 1/07/05 at 09:43 (166633)

that is exactly what I did with orthotics. I ran a peice of tape all around them and the squeaks stop instantly

Kathy G on 1/07/05 at 11:23 (166640)

What a great idea! The powder works only briefly and it's tough for me to sneak up on anyone!

Re: Question for Tina or Monte

Kathy G on 1/13/05 at 13:54 (167051)

Do you actually wrap the tape around the whole orthotic, so that the bottom and top cover are covered? Do you do the whole orthotic or just the toe section? Do you think duct tape would work?

I tried just putting piece of tape on mine because I misread what you had done and it didn't work. I hesitate to wrap the tape if I've misunderstood.

Thanks!

Re: Question for Tina or Monte

Richard, C.Ped on 1/13/05 at 16:02 (167066)

I wear polyprop orthotics, and I tried a strip of duct tape on the bottom. They stopped sqeeking. haha. Duct tape rules!!!!!!!!!

Re: For Kathy

Tina H on 1/13/05 at 20:45 (167082)

Kathy- I discovered this by accident. Use at your own risk. I wrapped white athletic tape around the entire orthotic. This really makes your orthotics look dirty, because the tape is sticky and dirt etc. sticks to it. But hey, it's better than sounding like your farting with every step!

Re: For Kathy

Kathy G on 1/14/05 at 10:30 (167131)

Thanks, Tina. I wanted to make sure that's what you meant. I think I'll try my trusty duct tape. I can always used Goo Gone to get off the sticky residue if it doesn't work.

Re: Duct tape - for Richard

Kathy G on 1/15/05 at 19:52 (167281)

Richard,

My son slept on the top bunk his sophomore year of college. He used duct tape to attach a wooden shelf to a concrete wall right above his bed. On this shelf, he placed his alarm clock/radio, a white sound machine and whatever book he was currently reading. I was sure he'd get hit on the head but the shelf never budged. From that point on, duct tape became his most valuable contribution whenever he moved, and he's lived in more apartments than I care to count.

I have two sets of supports I wear on my hands for my arthritis. The velcro connections on the older set has worn out. I tried attaching velcro tape to them but it didn't work. Then I thought of duct tape. I put some on and it works beautifully. Of course, if someone comes by unexpectedly, I have to explain the bright silver tape on my black supports! I consider it my own fashion statement.

Re: Tape on orthotics

Wendy f on 3/12/06 at 21:16 (195376)

O.K I just don't get how to 'wrap' the tape around the orthotic.Like around the 'edge' or over the top and bottom surfaces? I'm so tired of these ridiculous squeaking orthotics. Neither powder nor the idea of dried soap rubbed on to the orthotics seems to work.
Wendy F

bill on 8/14/06 at 09:02 (207229)

Use some moleskin on the bottom surface of the front and back of the orthotic. Let the moleskin come up the side of the orthotic slightly. You will have to replace this every few months.

John on 5/13/07 at 04:07 (229736)

I rubbed a bar of soap on the bottom of mine a few weeks ago and have been squek free ever since.