Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Todd G on 1/03/05 at 12:50 (166442)

Two weeks ago today, I had mild pain on the back (not the bottom) of my heel. I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary - but I did bowl the night before and did 20 calf flex reps on my leg press instead of my usual 10-15.

By Wednesday my pain was bad and much worse in the morning. I saw my GP the next day; he gave me pain killers and told me to lay off the weights and my rower. I did that, but it didn't help. The next Monday I went back in. X-rays showed no fracture so he put me in a cam walker (he wanted me to use crouches and stay off my foot altogether perhaps I should have listened). He also gave me oral corticosteroids and told me the flex my foot prior to walking on it. All this seemed to help. I was much better over the weekend. Morning pain was there, but It didn't take long to get noticeably better. This morning, however, the pain was bad again - even though I now have shoes by my bed I still had a hard time getting to the bathroom this morning.

From what I've read it sounds like plantar fasciitis, but the pain is on the back of the heel. Does the pain of plantar fasciitis ever occur on the back of the heel?

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Pat on 1/03/05 at 18:29 (166458)

I just wanted to say that I had PF (I had surgery) but before that I walked around for 3 months with a stress fracture that wasn't detectable by an x-ray. A bone scan finally picked it up. Maybe that's what you need.

marre on 1/03/05 at 23:37 (166464)

how would you compare the pain and symptoms from the stress fracture to your PF pain? What was the difference? Thanks

cindi on 1/04/05 at 06:46 (166470)

i am sure that this is my problem. I am over weight, walk on hard tile all day with a 4 month old baby. my pain is in my heel. so sharp in the morning or first initial step i can harldly walk.. this has gradually gotten worse over the past 4 months. what do you suggest. also, i have a terrible back (hip pain from previous back surgery ) so i favor the bad foot anyway. I need to try to avoid surgery because of the baby.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - Marre

Pat on 1/04/05 at 10:19 (166481)

When I first started having the PF pain I knew what it was because I had PF and following surgery in my left foot ten years ago. Last year it came in my right foot and after therapy and a cortisone shot and orthodics it was o.k. until almost a year later. Initially it was the standard heel pain but then it stared feeling like my foot was broken. I swear it was agony and everyone I told that I felt like my foot was broken looked at me like I was nuts. It felt like someone was sticking something sharp in my heel by the very back. I was crying with each step and saw two Ortho's before I got disgusted and went to a Pod (I didn't want to go to one since I had messed up surgery ten years ago). The Pod sent me for a bone scan and that revealed the stress fracture. It didn't show up on x-rays. They put me in an air cast for 6 weeks and when I came out of it the pain was better but after walking a few days the PF pain was back. That's more of a really sore, whole heel type of thing and it was painful on the side of my heal. I had surgery on 11/3 and I'm still waiting to see the final results. I got my last x-ray taken yesterday and I have an appointment with the Pod this afternoon so I'll keep you posted

Todd G on 1/04/05 at 17:34 (166499)

'A bone scan finally picked it up. Maybe that's what you need.'

I saw the Doc today. He has me back in a cam walker and if I don't improve after returning from my vacation - off to Palm Springs tomorrow - he'll send me out for an MRI