Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New non opiod pain drug approved by FDA

Posted by john h on 1/03/05 at 18:41 (166459)

This a non addictive pain drug just approved. Used for chronic pain from cancer, failed back surgery, amputations, AIDS,etc. Interesting source--a snail:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041228/285192_1.html

Re: New non opiod pain drug approved by FDA

BrianG on 1/04/05 at 10:17 (166480)

Hi John,

I guess it's time to say hi again. Like you, I've been reading about this new drug. At a quick glance, it looks very promising, especially the non-addicting (god I hate that word!) properties. From what I've read, all patients studied already had the infusion pumps installed. As you probably know, the pumps are not implanted, until a patient can no longer be helped by oral opiates.

This is where my questions begin. It appears they chose patients who had already exhausted all forms of oral pain medication, and who had also had the pumps implanted. The study then chose patients who were already on opiate therapy, via the pump. I have to assume they added the new med to patients normal opiate dosage. It would have taken months, to safely wean patients of the amount of opiates they were on. The study doesn't mention this happening. It only mentions the new med is used in conjunction with the opiate.

My questions revolve around the first patients to have the pumps implated, with ONLY the NEW med used. Will it still work as well (on it's own) as the combination of opiates, and the new med??????? I have yet to see this addressed, does anyone have any additional info?? Is there anyone at HS.com that has been researching this new med, with the possibility of using it some day. Personally, I think I'm a candidate, but that is years down the road.

Good talking to you
BrianG

PS: Very little hard water up here in Ma. so far. Haven't made it out to fish yet, but I know it's coming :*(

john h on 1/04/05 at 11:04 (166483)

Brian: I think I read on one site that some patients in trials had been on the med for 7 years. As you know it performs in a completely different manner than an opiate by blocking pain signals in the spinal column (i think). If you are on opiates you obviously have to be weaned off of them but I do not think this has anything to do with the new drug or how it operates. I think even if you had never had a opiate you could be put on this drug and it would be effective and due to the way it functions you would not need increasingly larger doses for it to be effective. Google a search under its name and you will find many articles. Supposedly the biggest breakthough pain drug in 20 or more years. Like all drugs there can be side effects but it did not appear to me to be any more so than with other drugs. I would think it is heaven sent to some people with some diseases. I know one woman who had a stimulator installed in her spine for back pain. They have had to relocate it a couple of times. I bet she would be all over this as people with failed back surgery pain were specifically mentioned as ones who might receive this med.

john h on 1/04/05 at 11:06 (166484)

Brian it has been around 70 degrees for the past week in Arkansas. Even at night. The bass must be going crazy.

Dave R on 1/04/05 at 11:47 (166488)

We have been out on the lakes here in Wisconsin for a few weeks now. There is two feet of ice on the lakes way up north. It wont be long and we will be able to drive on it. It sure has been a long time since i have posted here. Having a gastric slide done 5 months ago was the best thing that i ever did. I can do 10 times more than I could before and i seem to be able to do more every week. I couldnt be happier. I am not able to run yet, but i really havent tried to either....

Linda V on 1/04/05 at 12:35 (166491)

John,
I saw a Tv blurp on that new drug delivered intrathecally. It interests me because I have a brother with chronic pain...all his ligaments knees, hips, legs, have just fallen apart. NO dose of anything, nerve block, pain clinic extra have been able to help. The next option for him is a pump..and I have been reading about Jerry Lewis and how wonderful he has done on the neuro stimulator pump...no drugs even involved! Its good science is exploring different options.
No ice in NH either. Can't surf cast in the winter..so we are headed for warmer weather where I can try a deep sea trip!

John H on 1/05/05 at 11:33 (166558)

Dave: what is a gastric slide?

Julie on 1/05/05 at 11:50 (166559)

John, I think Dave meant gastroc slide - the lengthening of the gastrocnemius muscle to improve dorsiflexion.

Can't imagine what gastric slide might be. Barium meal xray of the digestive tract, perhaps?

:)

BrianG on 1/05/05 at 19:33 (166582)

Hi Linda,

I just wanted to explain that Medtronics.com makes couple different 'implants' for chronic pain. The type that Jerry Lews has is a Neuro Stimulator, it has no pump. It's implanted, and hooked up to the spinal cord. It sends a 'different' signal to the brain, blocking out the pain signals. It worked really well for Jerry when it was first implanted, he had no pain!

The other type of implant for chronic pain is the pump, which can be filled with highly concentrated liquid opiates, anti-depressants, muscle relaxants, etc. Both have their place, and work extremely well for most people.
I hope your brother gets his help,
BrianG

Linda V on 1/06/05 at 07:42 (166595)

Thanks for the info, Brian. I think its the neuro-stimulator that is my brothers first option. The doctor explained he might feel a mild 'buzz' like when your foot is asleep at times. I understand the theory. But I thought I saw Jerry Lewis holding a little 'remote control' thing in his hand when he was on TV talking about it. It looked like some models have a control so you can regulate the intensity needed to 'drown out' the pain. Thanks again.

Dave R on 1/06/05 at 08:07 (166596)

Julie is correct. They lengthened my achilles where it inserts into the bottom of my calf muscle. i wasnt able to bend my foot properly. I had a lack of dorsiflexion that caused me to limp.

BrianG on 1/07/05 at 10:18 (166634)

Hi Linda,

I think your correct, the stimulators do have a remote, so the patient can decide what strength 'buzzzz' they need. I'm pretty sure you have to go in to see the doctor, to get the pump regulated. They don't want people cranking it up, then OD'ing. I used to talk with a guy that had a pump implanted. It took quite a few months to get the mixture, and strength, just right. The morphine is so concentrated, they have to slowly make the adjustments.

Again, good luck to your brother
BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/08/05 at 21:29 (166748)

BrianG:
The implantable neurostimulator does seem to work well. Worker's Comp. in WA State refuses to pay for it.
Ed

Kay on 1/08/05 at 21:40 (166749)

How can you OD if there is no drugs involved?
Why can't I get something like Jerry Lewis got to stop my feet pain. I've been dealing with this since I was 19 and frankly I am sick of it. I take 30 mg of Kadian every twelve hours. I started on 20 and it seems that the 30 isn't doing what it used to do. Its a time released morphine and has side effects I'd rather not deal with. I want to cry when I think of how trapped I feel taking it. I was so excited when I first started using it as it did help quite abit with the pain, but now I just feel trapped.

BrianG on 1/09/05 at 17:09 (166803)

Hi Kay,

One of the Medtronic implantables has a pump, which pumps liquid morphine, anti-depressents, muscle relaxers, etc, into the spinal column. The ingredients are all liquid, and very concentrated. Much stronger than your oral meds.

The second type of implantable, a stimulator, is the type that Jerry Lewis got. It sends a 'different' signal to the brain. I believe it's something like a buzz, which is much easier to tolerate, than the pain signal. There are tests involved, to see which type of implantable will work best for you. If your pain is nerve related, you are most likely going to get the stimulator, like Jerry Lewis.

Patients that have PF generally do best with the pump, as the pain does not have as much to do with the nerves. I'm not going to say there is no nerve pain, but I think inflamation is what causes PF pain. If you have something like RSD, ort TTS, that is nerve related, the stimulator will work better.

Your doctor should be workng with you, to limit the side effects from the pain meds you are taking. Your still at a fairly low dose, have you brought the side effects, or increased pain, up to your doc? Sometimes one long acting pain med will work better than another. There are four, which doctors seem to be having good luck with right now.

One other thing, are you aware that your body becomes accomodated to the dosage you are on? Sooner, or later, you will need an increase. Once you get to the level thats keeping a good percentage of your pain down, a patient can usually go a year or more before increases. I take a long acting med, similar to yours. I haven't had an increase in over two years. I never crave the med, I just take it like any body else would take a med for any illness, or injury. If you want to discuss more, drop me an e-mail, I may be able to help you. (email removed)

Regards,
BrianG

PS: You will still have pain while taking pain meds, but they should make life a lot more livable for you.