Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on side of heel

Posted by squashplayer on 1/06/05 at 05:21 (166594)

About 3 months ago I was diagnosed with quite severe bi-lateral achilles tendonopathy.
I had cortisone injections in each tendon followed by about 10 weeks of total rest and wearing a night splint.
Now i am gradually and progressively loading the tendons with controlled exercises.

The pain in the achilles seemed to have gone till i started the exercises and now it has returned albeit much less so I am pleased with this as it seems things are getting a lot better.

HOWEVER !!! my problem is that on my left side the bone all around the heel is tender to touch and periodically hurts when walking sometimes so much that a shooting pain will cause me to cry out.

It feels like bone pain as opposed to muscle if that makes sense.

Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.

Re: Pain on side of heel

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/08/05 at 21:09 (166736)

Use of cortisone releives inflammation but not necessarily the cause of the problem. There is a general rule in medicine that cortisone, usually, is not to be injected around the achilles tendon because of the high incidence of achilles ruptures after such injections. You are fortunate that a rupture did not occur but I would avoid repeating that and tempting fate.

The type of problem you describe is usually caused by excess side to side motion of the heel bone. Have it checked by a practitioner well versed in the biomechanics of the foot.

Re: Pain on side of heel

barbm on 1/12/05 at 21:34 (167011)

i have pain on the inside of my heel about one or two inches above the sole. it is painful when I walk, and especailly when i first get up in the morning. i have noticed when i wear my cowboy boots, it hurts less. could this be from side to side motion of the heel bone, and how do you stop it?