Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Using Orthotic on Non-PF foot

Posted by Joiner on 1/06/05 at 15:32 (166608)

My heel and arch pain from PF is in my left foot only. I am currently wearing Powersteps to address the issue. However, I wondered if using an orthotic in my 'non-PF' foot could create problems where none currently exist. Put another way, could the arch support in Powersteps be 'too much' for a healthly foot with a moderate arch?

Joiner

Re: Using Orthotic on Non-PF foot

Richard, C.Ped on 1/07/05 at 09:40 (166632)

Powersteps and other type of inserts are used all the time for ski boots and shoes. It is possible that having generic support under your foot could cause unexpected pain elsewhere.

Joiner on 1/07/05 at 11:46 (166642)

By 'unexpected pain', do you mean cause damage to the foot?

In the case of a patient who has PF in only one foot, do you generally recommend an orthotic for the injured foot and leave the other one in a regular good quality shoe?

Thanks for the additional insight.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/07/05 at 13:29 (166647)

Unexpected as in either to much or to little support throwing the ankle, knee or hips out of alignment. Something that does not fit correctly could cause you to create more problems.

Unless the other foot is in a healing boot, we always make the orthosis for both feet. If you only have one, you could look like you walk like Charlie Chaplin. Kind of wobbly. haha...well, that might be extreme, but I hope you get what I am saying.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/07/05 at 13:41 (166649)

Unexpected as in either to much or to little support throwing the ankle, knee or hips out of alignment. Something that does not fit correctly could cause you to create more problems.

Unless the other foot is in a healing boot, we always make the orthosis for both feet. If you only have one, you could look like you walk like Charlie Chaplin. Kind of wobbly. haha...well, that might be extreme, but I hope you get what I am saying.

Joiner on 1/07/05 at 16:44 (166668)

I like the Charlie Chaplin analogy. I didn't think you'd let people wobble around but I was wondering just what type of orthotic you put on a foot that does not have a problem. Thanks.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/10/05 at 07:53 (166831)

I take the same impression for the non-injured foot as I do for the injured. If the injured needs a met pad, or other modifications, under normal conditions, I will not add to the other orthosis.