Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis AND leg pain

Posted by Raina on 1/06/05 at 15:41 (166609)

I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and have a heel spur. I am still trying to find relief for the heel pain, but am managing. What is bothering me is the shooting pain in the back of my thigh. Does anyone else with this diagnosis also have this shooting pain? I have a follow up appointment with my podiatrist in a few days and will mention this to him, but am curious if this is a common symptom of PF and if others are experiencing this as well.

Thank you.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis AND leg pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/08/05 at 20:56 (166733)

I would have your doc check the posterior tibial tendon since that tendon pulls up on the arch, de-tensioning the fascia. It will often become painful in patients with PF.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis AND leg pain

Pilar L on 1/10/05 at 11:01 (166848)

Dear Raina,

I do suffer from pain along my thighs. If the pain shoots upwards from the heel towards your thigh, then you probably have a nerve trapped in your foot. If the pain shoots from the lower back towards your thigh, then you probably have sciatica, i.e. a nerve trapped in the spine.

Two symptoms of Reactive Arthritis are inflammation where the Achilles tendon joins the calcaneus (causing plantar fasciitis) and inflammation of the ligaments in the lower back.