Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will ESWT work for me?

Posted by Denise on 1/06/05 at 17:45 (166611)

I am considering ESWT but I am a little confused on whether or not it will work for me. I've had PF for about 5 1/2 years in my right foot. I dont usually have the 'normal' morning pain & the pain is in the heel but more on the edge of it & into it on the inside of the foot. I dont have it in the middle of the heel. I have heard that ESWT works best when your pain is mostly in the heel. I guess mine is for the most part. Also the cost here in MN is $300.00. Another doctor is asking $4000. but part of that is the hospital. Does $300 sounds right? Thanks

Re: Will ESWT work for me?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/06/05 at 18:11 (166612)

If the pain is from the plantar fascia where it attaches to the bottom of your heel then ESWT could be the right treatment for you. Very important to have a complete evaluation of your entire lower extremity to rule out all other possible reasons for heel pain. Have you seen an ESWT provider yet.

$300 is the lowest fee I have seen for the doctor charge. Always get all fees in writing so that you don't have any problems if that is what you decide.

Denise on 1/08/05 at 08:29 (166693)

I have seen a Dr for my PF & the first time I talked to him he seemed a little undecided on whether it would help me,(about 2 years ago) then when I talked to him again just recently he said he thought it would help. Hmmm. The doctor that is charging the $300. I am seeing Monday.(a different Doc) To complicate things I just developed a painful bunion that seems to make my toe slightly numb & makes the bones under my big toe sore.(are those normal symptoms for a bunion) Thanks Denise

Dr. Z on 1/08/05 at 08:52 (166695)

ESWT isn't indicated for pf pain under six months in most cases. Had you had the pf pain for six months two years ago. Typical bunion pain is on the side of the big toe joint. Where do you live?

john/m buko on 1/11/05 at 11:14 (166895)

will this work on nerve entrapment cases

Denise on 1/12/05 at 16:54 (166979)

I have actually had the PF for about 5 years. I finally got orthodics about 31/2 years ago which has helped but I still live with the pain. It dies down but never goes away for me. If I push it even alittle...walk the dog for 20 min & maybe go to the grocery store hours later..I'll be sore for days. I had a cortizone shot about 6 weeks ago & I did great for about 3 weeks & then it has been hurting very bad...the worse ever. Could this be a rupture & do those heal? I live in MInnesota.Thanks

DavidW on 1/18/05 at 19:55 (167503)

Denise, your pain sounds a little like mine - maybe I can give advice, but you will have to wait. I have had pain for 3 years now, and it is not typical, which confuses most doctors. I have no morning pain, but I cannot even walk for 15 minutes without a terrible pain that starts on the inside front of the heelbone and quickly eminates forward into the arch. The pain is a dull ache with a sort of burning. I have seen everyone imaginable and had every test possible.

My Doc finally OK'd the ESWT, which I had only two weeks ago. So far, so good, although I am pretty sore from the procedure. I will update this forum again when I reach 5 or 6 weeks.