Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anti inflammatories post surgery

Posted by sheri on 1/07/05 at 21:13 (166679)

i keep reading no anti inflammatories post surgery. my doctor did not share that bit of info with me so i have been taking advil. what is the reason behind not using the anti inflammatories?

also, i read no ice or heat. again my doctor said nothing of the sort. what do you think?

Re: anti inflammatories post surgery

Dr. Z on 1/08/05 at 09:06 (166698)

Hi
There are different opinions about this but no clinical studies to prove that unless we are just talking about low energy ESWT. We use heat unless you have severe heel pain post eswt. We try to avoid nsaid three days before and up to six weeks after. This isn't placed in stone. Use common sense and speak with doctor about what he wants you to do.

Chris P. on 1/12/05 at 09:46 (166952)

The reason behind no antiinflammatories is because the procedure induces an inflammatory response to begin the healing process. Taking Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, Alleve, Ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. is not indicated for at least 8-12 weeks post procedure. In short, taking an antiinflammatory post ESWT voids the procedure.

Dr. Z on 1/12/05 at 13:36 (166972)

Chris,
Again where is your reference to this information. Not only myself but Dr. Rompe made reference to nsaid and LOW energy ESWT. I am not aware of any study that shows that taking NSAID voids HIGH ESWT. Now if you are talking about Low energy ESWT that is a different story literature does show that low energy and taking NSAID should be avoided the reason is due to neovascularization from a neuro induced inflamation response There are no studies or proof that this is the case with nsaid. There is even an article in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery where they injected desamethisone post eswt with a 83% sucess rate.